brickless 2060s S4M build

will my S4M work

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
I want to do a build with an rtx 2060 super that is brickless, with the WHPLEX 400w (think thats what it’s called?) psu. to make it brickless without actually modding the psu or case, I need to get some special cables. I believe Josh dubbed them “super shorty cables”. This is my first ever PC build and I don’t trust myself to make them without breaking something. Can I buy them pre built anywhere?

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
The Zotac RTX 2060 Super mini requires a bit more work to fit in the case with the HDPLEX 400w ac-dc unit. You'll need to remove the fan shroud off of the graphics card, as well as remove (or cut down) the backplate as well as bending in some tabs on the card itself. As well as the super shorty cables.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I want to do a build with an rtx 2060 super that is brickless, with the WHPLEX 400w (think thats what it’s called?) psu. to make it brickless without actually modding the psu or case, I need to get some special cables. I believe Josh dubbed them “super shorty cables”. This is my first ever PC build and I don’t trust myself to make them without breaking something. Can I buy them pre built anywhere?
Josh, for a price, will do the complete build. i have no idea what he charges though.

will my S4M work

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
Josh, for a price, will do the complete build. i have no idea what he charges though.
I would love to build it myself, for the fun of it, but I don't trust myself with the cables. Rather stay safe for my first build, maybe later I can get into serous modding.

will my S4M work

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
The Zotac RTX 2060 Super mini requires a bit more work to fit in the case with the HDPLEX 400w ac-dc unit. You'll need to remove the fan shroud off of the graphics card, as well as remove (or cut down) the backplate as well as bending in some tabs on the card itself. As well as the super shorty cables.
Are any of the above things hard to do? I contacted Josh about the super shorty cables, and I can buy those pre built. Removing the back plate doesn't sound way too hard, but I'm worried about removing the fan shroud and bending some of the tabs on the card. Are there any videos on how to do it?

Or is there an alternative 2060/2060s/2070 that I could fit without the bending and removing?

HBYR

Chassis Packer
Feb 23, 2019
Are any of the above things hard to do? I contacted Josh about the super shorty cables, and I can buy those pre built. Removing the back plate doesn't sound way too hard, but I'm worried about removing the fan shroud and bending some of the tabs on the card. Are there any videos on how to do it?

Or is there an alternative 2060/2060s/2070 that I could fit without the bending and removing?
An Inno 3D Twin Fan should fit without modding. That said, actually finding where to buy one is not that easy.

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016

The 1660 Ti is quite a bit smaller than the 2060 Super.

- The process for the Zotac 2060 Super is the same as the Zotac 2070 Mini, see Josh's video [here]
- Note that this won't work for the Zotac 2070 Super mini as the PCB is too large

- The Zotac 2060/2070 (non-super) needs shroud removed like the 2060 Super.... check video above.
- The Galax/Inno3D 2060/2070 (non-super) Mini will fit without issue, you just need to unscrew the hdplex cover, and get shorty cables.
- The Gigabyte/Aero 2060/2070 (non-super) will need the AC-DC and DC-DC units swapped in order to fit them due to their height. See [this] video.
- This super compact Inno3D 2060 Super should fit without issue: http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=487

will my S4M work

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
The 1660 Ti is quite a bit smaller than the 2060 Super.

- The process for the Zotac 2060 Super is the same as the Zotac 2070 Mini, see Josh's video [here]
- Note that this won't work for the Zotac 2070 Super mini as the PCB is too large

- The Zotac 2060/2070 (non-super) needs shroud removed like the 2060 Super.... check video above.
- The Galax/Inno3D 2060/2070 (non-super) Mini will fit without issue, you just need to unscrew the hdplex cover, and get shorty cables.
- The Gigabyte/Aero 2060/2070 (non-super) will need the AC-DC and DC-DC units swapped in order to fit them due to their height. See [this] video.
- This super compact Inno3D 2060 Super should fit without issue: http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=487
Oh my god this is amazing. Thanks so much! So many options!

Last edited:

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
- The Galax/Inno3D 2070 (non-super) TWIN will fit without issue, you just need to unscrew the hdplex cover, and get shorty cables.

The Inno3d is called the twin rather than mini.

will my S4M work

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
Hey, thanks again, I'm back with some questions :p

I'm not gonna go for the zotac ones. The other options seem a little better.

This doesn't seem that bad. I think I could do that.

This is where the questions start.
Would this mean lots of extra cable management? And will I need to buy some special cables for this? But no shorty cables? This also doesn't seem too bad, just might result a little clutter. I skimmed the video (sorry, I'll watch it later but don't have time for it right now), and it looked like he was pulling out extra cables. Where would I get all those? Oh also I will have to sand down the PSU.

No super shorty cables? No nothing? This sounds awesome to be honest.

Last edited:

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018

I would have some concerns about that statement for the Inno3D 2060 Super. Its measured as a 116mm vs the 113mm of the 2070 twin which requires shorty and PSU cover.

will my S4M work

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
I would have some concerns about that statement for the Inno3D 2060 Super. Its measured as a 116mm vs the 113mm of the 2070 twin which requires shorty and PSU cover.
Well, even that isn't too hard is it? 28 dollars for shorty cables plus removing some screws? Or is it hard to take off the cover?

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Sorry for the delayed reply... work trapped me.

This is where the questions start.
Would this mean lots of extra cable management? And will I need to buy some special cables for this? But no shorty cables? This also doesn't seem too bad, just might result a little clutter. I skimmed the video (sorry, I'll watch it later but don't have time for it right now), and it looked like he was pulling out extra cables. Where would I get all those? Oh also I will have to sand down the PSU.

Yeah, you need a longer 24 pin cable, as the dc-dc unit is now on top of the graphics card instead of the motherboard. Might still need shorty cables depending on which graphics card you go with. Not sure if gigabyte or the Aero have recessed pcie power ports.

Of course, will also need to shave down the ac-dc unit (which now sits next to the motherboard) by a few mm to fit it in next to the motherboard.

Pretty sure the inno3d 2060 super still needs shorty cables and the ac-dc side panel taken off. Would honestly go with the zotac 2060 super personally.... better thermals due to larger heatsink (+ fins facing a better direction) + dual fans.

will my S4M work

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
Sorry for the delayed reply... work trapped me.

Yeah, you need a longer 24 pin cable, as the dc-dc unit is now on top of the graphics card instead of the motherboard. Might still need shorty cables depending on which graphics card you go with. Not sure if gigabyte or the Aero have recessed pcie power ports.

Of course, will also need to shave down the ac-dc unit (which now sits next to the motherboard) by a few mm to fit it in next to the motherboard.

No problem, just glad ou are helping me out at all! I think I'd rather go with the other options, as I don't have the tools to grind down stuff. Also I hate cable clutter...

Pretty sure the inno3d 2060 super still needs shorty cables and the ac-dc side panel taken off.

Taking off a side panel doesn't seem bad at all, I think I could do that. Was expecting the super shirt cables, also not a problem.

Would honestly go with the zotac 2060 super personally.... better thermals due to larger heatsink (+ fins facing a better direction) + dual fans.

When I watched the VOD of Josh's livestream it seemed like he completely removed the 2070's fans. Also it looked like a lot of work. It's not so much the amount of work as how doable it is for me. Maybe it's easier than it looks. I would definitely love to try this, but I don't know how hard it would be. Gonna watch through the stream in detail. Hopefully it's doable for me. Will the cooling still be fine without the fans? Or would the INNO3D be better then?

Edit: I watched it in detail and I can deffinitely do it. Still wondering about the cooling.

Last edited:

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
When I watched the VOD of Josh's livestream it seemed like he completely removed the 2070's fans. Also it looked like a lot of work. It's not so much the amount of work as how doable it is for me. Maybe it's easier than it looks. I would definitely love to try this, but I don't know how hard it would be. Gonna watch through the stream in detail. Hopefully it's doable for me. Will the cooling still be fine without the fans? Or would the INNO3D be better then?

Edit: I watched it in detail and I can deffinitely do it. Still wondering about the cooling.

Still need the fans. Should be able to re-attach the originals, of course noctuas + skybracket is an option like in Josh's video.

I say the cooling on the Zotacs will be better mainly because of the heatsink orientation. The horizontal orientation of the fins on the zotac cards would make the air blowing through them vent out through the IO port, opposed to the vertical orientation of the fins of the Inno3d, which would vent out the hot air up the top (into the path of the ac-dc unit).

You've also got the larger heatsink + dual fans on the Zotac which will help them over the Inno3d also....

will my S4M work

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
Zotac it is. He bends a part that holds some fan stuff in place, so will I need to worry about that when I re-attach it? Also I spelt "definitely" with two fs, and for some reason it's driving me crazy.