CPU Black Screen with XTIA Xproto Riser

Cerberus

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I read the warning. From what I understood, my 3080 should work the the gen 3 riser, but it is not. After I install the GPU driver, the screen goes black. The GPU worked when I reattached it directly to the mobo. I would appreciate any clues. Here is XTIA's warning.

Warning: The PCIe riser cable is Gen3 (PCIe 3.0). If you are using a Navi or Ampere GPU along with a B550/X570/Z490/Z590 motherboard, please set your PCIe slot setting from Gen4 (PCIe 4.0) to Gen3 in the BIOS. If you do not change the setting, there is a high risk that you will have video output issues. There’s no need to be concerned about being limited to Gen3, as testing has shown that even with an RTX 3080, there is less than a 5% performance loss downgrading from a Gen4 to Gen3 connection.

You can ignore the above information if you choose PCIE 4.0 riser cable

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You need to attach the GPU directly to the motherboard so you can get into the BIOS. In the BIOS you will have a setting for PCI lane speed, it is probably set on Auto, change it to PCI 3.0.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Cerberus

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Than
You need to attach the GPU directly to the motherboard so you can get into the BIOS. In the BIOS you will have a setting for PCI lane speed, it is probably set on Auto, change it to PCI 3.0.
Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow when I'm fresh.

Reactions: rfarmer

kami_sama

Trash Compacter
Dec 15, 2019
If you have an iGPU (if you have an Intel cpu or an AMD apu) I think you might be able to use the display output of the motherboard and try to change it there.
TBH I don't really know if it would work, but it can't hurt to try it.

Cerberus

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I changed the BIOS setting. Now I can play video games. I get 60 FPS in Talos Principle's benchmark, but I think that's caused by my DirectX version. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider's benchmark, I get 91 FPS vs 94 FPS without the riser.

Reactions: rfarmer