Cooling Question for Black Ridge owners with VLP and 120mm fan

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Hey all,

Just finished building in my ZS-A4 V2. So far enjoying it a fair bit, but I just want to ask a quick question.

I have VLP RAM, and am using a 120mm fan on my Black Ridge. The question, thus : was there some trick or something to getting the fan NOT to always bump into the little nudges for screwing in the 92mm fan??? After a fair bit of fiddling, I finally got a position that SEEMS to work, but at the same time, I don't really trust it...I fear that, while traveling or something, a little shock on the case could maybe move that fan to a point where it would catch again, and then I'd be up the creek without a paddle.

Thanks much!!

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Hey all,

Just finished building in my ZS-A4 V2. So far enjoying it a fair bit, but I just want to ask a quick question.

I have VLP RAM, and am using a 120mm fan on my Black Ridge. The question, thus : was there some trick or something to getting the fan NOT to always bump into the little nudges for screwing in the 92mm fan??? After a fair bit of fiddling, I finally got a position that SEEMS to work, but at the same time, I don't really trust it...I fear that, while traveling or something, a little shock on the case could maybe move that fan to a point where it would catch again, and then I'd be up the creek without a paddle.

Thanks much!!

it fits in a SkyReach case, with VLP Ram, and this motherboard - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-I-GAMING/

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Add some washers between the fan an the heatsink than secure it with the clips.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Now why didn't I think of that...

Thanks for responding!

Just to add on to this - actually had a thought about this later. What about if I screwed in some regular fan screws into the 120x15 fan's regular screw mounting holes, but didn't screw them all the way so as to leave a bit of space (screw protruding) on top? Would that also work?