GPU Best route for experimenting with and external GPU build

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I am looking to build a lightweight gaming setup and have a couple of bases to use with my GTX 1050 Ti.

First up is an Asrock Deskmini A300 currently running an Athlon 200GE, but will probably end up with a Ryzen 3400G, the other option is an Intel NUC 7i5BNH which has a CPU that is similar to the Athlon performance wise.
The NUC has the possible benefit that it has a Type C Thunderbolt 3 socket, which could be more convenient than an M.2 to PCIe 4x adaptor.

What are your recommendations or experiences with external GPU experimentation?

I'll probably use an HP 12v 160W AIO PSU or a Mean Well 200W RPS / EPP unit.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Depends if it is going to be integrated into the same chassis really. M.2 is appropriate for internal connections and and it's slightly faster and the cheaper solution by about $50-75. Gen3 m.2 cables by ADT link are flexible enough to bend however is needed.

But if you would like a separate/external chassis for the gpu, or the gpu will be unplugged regularly, use tb3. M.2 is just super messy to try to use externally or to unplug with regularity as the connectors have a limited lifespan.

There is one solution that is kind of in between both m.2 and TB3 which is using the EXP GDC riser which uses two HDMI cables to carry the x4 PCI-e data. So it's a bit more modular than the ribbon cable since it can actually be disconnected from the eGPU without wear (yay!), but still not as clean as TB3 because you can't unplug the cables from the m.2 side (damn!). Video of that below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Plans have been derailed by the 200W HP PSU being vapourware....
The day after ebay said the parcel has been sent I received a message from the seller to say that they couldn't find it in the warehouse and issued a refund. Amusingly, PayPal took the payment from my account the very next day!