Motherboard Advice Required: Use my existing DDR3 h/w or migrate to DDR4 for low cost, low power homeserver?

ssouthall6

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
Hi all

This forum has been great in helping me put together a nice little Deskmini A300 build which I'm now happy with. Nice to see a welcoming forum for noobs!

On the server side, I currently have an HP Microserver N40L that is starting to creak a little and is my next upgrade project. It runs Data Centre 2019 surprisingly well but I've more or less decided I need to go down the Debian route, learn Docker etc, and no longer need Active Directory and Hyper-V, which is why I had WHS 2019 DC running in the first place.

Is there any mileage in a DDR3 build? I'm thinking ITX mobo/APU combo (DDR3 equivalent to the J4105-I/-M), or even individual combinations with an ultra low TDP I can chuck in there just for backups, DNS + DHCP server, HASS, web server, etc? In my spares box I have a Kolink Satellite, a load of crucial SSD's and about 16gb of DDR3, so wouldn't mind putting them to some use, as I can't seem to shift them on Ebay. There's no requirement for transcoding, although I do run Plex and Axis Device Manager amongst other things on my N40L currently.

Or option 2, am I best off holding out and upgrading to DDR4? Option 3 - I'd get, and am open to, a Pi4, but the lack of storage profile means an SFF is probably the best bet.

I lost track of AMD builds between FM1 and Ryzen, and am completely new to Intel builds, my last non-AMD build being a 486 DX2/66, so please bear with me.

Any advice or guidance appreciated. Thanks!