Best option for a SSD ?

Fazer

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 14, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm really happy with my new setup with the DanCase, but I would like to change my storage and I need advice.

I currently own two 2.5" SSDs :

- Toshiba 960Go
- Crucial MX300 525Go

My goal is to only have one SSD in order to remove the cage under the PSU and have more room for the cables.

I have two options :

- a M.2 SSD behind the motherboard
Pros : small and easy to hide | fewer cables under the PSU
Cons : only 1To (I'm unable to find a 2To M.2 SSD in my country) | Need thermal pads ?
- a 2.5" SSD on the front of the case
Pros : easy to set up | 2To available
Cons : more cables under the PSU | Bad temperatures ? (since the SSD will be almost pressed against the PSU, which gets really really hot while playing)

What's your opinion ? I'm really interested by the M.2 SSD, but I'm afraid about the temperatures since it will be stuck between the motherboard and the GPU. I don't need a NVMe, but maybe I should get some thermal pads if they can fit behind the motherboard ?

Tashi

Trash Compacter
Jun 15, 2019
SATA M.2 behind mobo? Noctua A9x14 under mobo for more GPU airflow and SSD airflow?

Fazer

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 14, 2019
SATA M.2 behind mobo? Noctua A9x14 under mobo for more GPU airflow and SSD airflow?

Yes, behind the mobo. I can put a Noctua A9x14 under the motheboard for a better aiflow, but I'm still worried about the temperatures, especially with my GPU that doesn't have a backplate (GTX 1080 MSI Armor).

Boganator

Chassis Packer
Sep 23, 2018
Concerning the M.2 temps, I made a post recently about how I got my temps under control. Yes, you need thermal pads, but they totally work.

Fazer

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 14, 2019
Concerning the M.2 temps, I made a post recently about how I got my temps under control. Yes, you need thermal pads, but they totally work.

Thank you for the information ! May I know why you used two different sizes (1mm and 1,5mm) to fill the gap between the drive and the motherboard ?