News Asus X99M-WS microATX X99 motherboard

Edit 2: Better pics!

https://sff-forum.net/threads/asus-x99m-ws-microatx-x99-motherboard.54/page-2#post-941

Edit: Pics!

Here's the first picture of ASUS X99M-WS, an upcoming workstation-grade socket LGA2011v3 motherboard based on the Intel X99 Express chipset, which the company claims will be the "most powerful" motherboard of its kind in this form-factor. The board draws power from 24-pin ATX, and two 8-pin EPS power connectors, with an optional 6-pin PCIe power input to stabilize power to add-on cards. The socket is wired to four DDR4 DIMM slots, supporting up to 128 GB of quad-channel DDR4 memory; and two PCI-Express 3.0 x16 connectors.

http://www.techpowerup.com/213034/asus-x99m-ws-micro-atx-motherboard-pictured.html

Hope we get better pictures soon, I'm really looking forward to this motherboard.

Raja has been hinting about some kind of X99 microATX board from Asus but in a live stream JJ from Asus dropped that the new board would be under the WS brand and will hopefully release end of this month:

Transcript:

The main hole that we're now going to be filling out with the X99 platform is we will be releasing a X99 microATX board. So for this generation, at least right now, there won't be a Gene but there actually will be a board that will be very close to the Gene in terms of its overall design quality.

It'll be actually from the WS group but it's an absolute beast of a board, so it brings to it the kind of overbuilt nature, high-end quality design that you have from ROG but it'll be under the WS branding.

It's got the beautiful, monolithic, monochromatic design that the WS board has for X99, which I think looks awesome. I think that board looks really, really great. So you'll have that same kind of color aesthetic.

That board's probably going to be launching right around at the very end of this month. So at least we'll finally have now a microATX solution, but on the Mini-ITX side, definitely, at this time, nothing to report.

Something like this in mATX? I'll take it! :cool:

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It also explains why the speed of the M.2 port is not mentioned. But it doesn't explain why they thought it was a good idea.
"Hey, if we pull PCIe 2.0 lanes from the chipset rather than 3.0 lanes from the CPU, we get 'free' PCIe lanes to divert to, uh, an extra slot I guess?"

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Which is useless unless using the 40-lane CPUs :)
Why did they have to make the cheaper 2011-3 CPU a 28-lane... I hope this gets resolved with the X190 chipset. Especially since Skylake has 16 + 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes.