Advice Asus Tuf mb, Fractal Design Nano , i9-4900 GTX4070

tekano

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 15, 2024
Hello, Im looking into building a 2024 sffpc. I was excited at first on the possabilities, but then got jaded on choosing components that would work together. Which is why Im here! hopefully I can get more enlightened on some good choices to make.

I already have an RTX4070 to put in. I really like the Asus Tuf gaming motherboards but Ive only used the ATX size one and it lasted a long time. are the smaller ones just as robust? im unsure of the new formats / sizes as well. Im looking at heavy sims using lots of GPU, CPU and RAM in combination so I guess airflow and cooling is very pertinent. should I just give up the idea of sffpc and go mid size to be safe?

CPU I would like an i9-4900 and the case, fractal design nano torrent looks interesting but then review Ive read are saying cable manegement is not so great. Im no master builder, only built a couple of PCs and 1 sffpc inside a Fractal Node 804 but that was back in 2013...

any good advice on a case thats is sff, best of class cooling / airflow and easy to build with as im not that bothered by case brand only looking to get i94900 + RTX4070 sff for SideFX houdini 3D workstation DDR5 96GB ram (2x48) and also Unreal Engine technical Artist type work on it.

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
any good advice on a case thats is sff, best of class cooling / airflow and easy to build with as im not that bothered by case brand only looking to get i94900 + RTX4070 sff for SideFX houdini 3D workstation DDR5 96GB ram (2x48) and also Unreal Engine technical Artist type work on it.

Are we talking about a 14900k? because I didnt know a i9 already existed in 2013.

If your goal is maximum CPU performance but medium GPU, you should also consider the current top-tier AMD CPUs, ie. 7950X and 9950X. You can set them to slightly reduced levels (eg. 105W Eco mode) and still gonna get the same performance as a 14900K. Also, with this, you are able to easily get them cooled as well, even with low profile air coolers.

So, as I gather your main goal is "as long as its still SFF its okay", then my suggestion for cases would be:

a) If you require an Intel CPU (because better support of specific programs):

Meshlicious / Meshroom S is a great versatile case. That allows for a 280 AIO, GPU up to 336 mm length (in theory, you can also go up to 350ish), up to quadruple slot GPU when needed, and a relatively small footprint on the desk.

Other options of similar size and features include eg. the NCase M2, Hyte Revolt 3, and even the good old Lian Li Q58.

b) If AMD is good, too, your options extremely increase, because you're able to decently cool an 7950X in 105W eco mode even with a low profile air cooler like the AXP90-X53, AXP120-X67 / Noctua NH-L12S / ID-Cooling 67 and similar.

If noise isnt your main issue, you could go as small as a S300 (8.1L), but for somebody who hasnt built anything in the last 10ish years, I'd rather suggest going with easier options, like the S400 V2 (air cooled, 10.8L), A4-H2O (liquid cooled, 11.1L), Meshilicous / Meshroom S (yes, these again; 14.9 L), Sharkoon QB One (14is L).. and obviously, there always is The Goat aka NR200P :)

These are just cases that I know of to be relatively easy to build in - as long as you prepare thoroughly and dont just grab whatever you see thoughtlessly :)

cu, w0lf.

tekano

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 15, 2024
Ah no, sorry if I wasnt clear, it was definately an i7 back in 2013! Im looking at an i9-14900KF now as its only like £419 currently here in UK Im making a lot of assumptions on the CPU against AMD having been burnt badly in the distant past (ive been doing this stuff well over 20 years) with incompatabilities with various VFX softwares and what not but doing a cursory glance it seems there is more bang for buck with AMD these days, I do have a spare render box with a old thereadripper runnning linux and seems OK. and my main software tools do support them well these days. Additionally some issues with 13th and 14th Gen intels and heavy simulations and intel asking motherboard manufacturers to 'fix' bios - so not quite sure and will check AMD,s thanks for the tip!

I see it almost like an iOS/ Android choice thing. pretty much evens out but most folks stick with what they grew up on or know and Ive always been an intel / Android type of person. my other PC is super micro, dual XEON e5 2690 v4 and its definetely showing its age, but still pretty decent so looking to speed things up!

Thank you for the case choices! I will check these out. Am not that fussed as long as it looks cool, is easy to build and has good airflow.

tekano

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 15, 2024
So, further digging, it seems I need a Micro ATX case, not Mini ITX - as its the smallest asus Tuf gaming motherboard available. Over the last 30 years of PC use Ive only really had reliable long lasting PCs that were Tuf (Sabetooth 67 was still going up til recently) and supermicro motherboards for XEONs all other PCs seemed to fail earlier or die younger than anticipated - including a few Dells along the way. I guess its the heat stress, dust or humidity london air - but these are the caveats, it has to be the Tuf motherboard (unless convinced otherwise!) and an i9-14900 and if its to be sff its limited to Micro ATX TUF GAMING B760M-PLUS II it seems is the best option.

I checked the AMD specs for equivelent prices against the i9 and whilst AMD was very good at power efficiency and Photoshop it wasnt so good at 3D operations against an intel and since im mostly doing heavier simulations, will be sticking with the i9.

for cases so far Ive searched high and wide, I really liked the GOAT you mentioned NR200P but it was Mini ITX . It seems fractal Design are doing a lot of mATX cases and currently looking at the meshify mini and the POP mini air. I see the MeshRoom D can do mATX but that looks a very tight build for the likes of myself and a bit intimidating! Im looking for simpler easier build at the moment with robustness and longevity in mind.

Thanks for listening, if any of you SFF brianiacs have any further suggestions or recomendations I'm all ears!

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Well, mATX is always the hassle. N200P doesnt really support mATX except for mods, so you'd have to step up one level to MFF, and get the SAMA IM01 or one of its many clones. Also, the Asus Prime AP201 is always a very solid choice, albeit not SFF.

But as we are here in SFF land, beginner-friendly mATX cases are rare. Hence the suggestion towards the Meshroom S - NOT the D, because that one only gets nice for mATX with the additional extender, and then you're nearly at 18L. Only advantage: 280 AIO vs. "only with mods" in the SAMA IM01 and similar cases.

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: tekano

milesvw

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 20, 2022
Well, mATX is always the hassle. N200P doesnt really support mATX except for mods, so you'd have to step up one level to MFF, and get the SAMA IM01 or one of its many clones. Also, the Asus Prime AP201 is always a very solid choice, albeit not SFF.
There is a SAMA 01 for $45 right now on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/296543507257
I got a white and a black one.
Recommend. I used the UPSiren reverse flow Prism4 140mm https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807157178301.html for the bottom fans. $8-10 each. Here is how the black one looked: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...vG38Y94uXsI95rdvxwB0VLRt_Astjyv3at0KQ=w800-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...JvNJMjdSQ5XlLo0D9WxCWqkxJO64MEahOQ5KQ=w800-no

They will take a full ATX PSU. I got a cheap 300mm Modular sleeved cable, but I didn't try it yet. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...st_main.5.5cf51802DdaB4D&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa I put the extra expander on the bottom to help the fan's airflow, but you can put it up top for the radiator.

Not sure if the i9's extra 4 E cores are worth it over a good used $270 (or make an offer) 14700 https://www.ebay.com/itm/186730209055 but you could always try it out. At 220watts on air the 14700 did a 24 second BMW scene render. Impressive. I picked up 2 around this price a couple months back. The K is an odd duck, the clocks are already impressive on the non-k, and the TDP is basically unlocked.

Edit: math checks out. Cheapest 14900K is $380 (also make an offer) https://www.ebay.com/itm/365181481664 , which is 28% more money and it is 28% faster according to cpubenchmark.net.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
In terms of building in the SAMA IM01: A lot of people say that a mATX board + ATX PSU doesnt fit, but that isnt true. It just wont fit if you go with a regular non-modular, or extremely oversized ATX PSU.

I've successfully put together several builds in the SAMA IM01 (aka Inter-Tech IM-1 Pocket, as its called here in Germany), and this was never an issue.

Depending on your mainboard, you might have issues with fitting 120 mm fans, eg. with the MSI boards, where there seems to be the tendency to clash with the bottom intake, but that really easily solved by just using 92 mm fans.

If you go for CPU air cooling, you also can make use of the side mount, and just add regular 120 or 140 mm fans there.

For AIO, side-mount is the only real option, 240 fits, and 280 may fit depending on your willingness for modifications.

Edit: math checks out. Cheapest 14900K is $380 (also make an offer) https://www.ebay.com/itm/365181481664 , which is 28% more money and it is 28% faster according to cpubenchmark.net.

I'd set a PL for that, and experiment a bit with it, as Computerbase successfully tested it with 88, 142 and 180 W, and even with the 142 W (guess they tried comparing it with the 105W Eco mode of Ryzen 7 + 9) the 14700k pulls out the same performance level as the 14700K on full blast.

Of corpse, reducing wattage is gonna keep the CPU cooler, and also, with the recent befuddlement of Intel and the dying CPUs (see Gamers Nexus, Level1 Tech etc.), increase the life time of the CPU a lot.

My 13700k is set to a PL of 220, and just with that, it never goes over than 70° C (AIO: Arctic LF II 240 A-RGB; the A-RGB fans are better optimized for radiators).

cu, w0lf.