• Wifi 6 AX201 + Bluetooth 5.1 + 2.5 gig ethernet
  • "13" usb ports
  • No TB3
  • Up to DDR4 4800

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Not just the boards, but also CPU cooling and power supply, as both AMD and Intel have increased the power (and thus heat) that the top consumer CPUs can consume for their marketed performance. It's the same for this new power-hungry Intel 10-core and AMD's 16-core, they're nearing the edge of what is possible with current consumer solutions in the tiny sockets.

vex_sb

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
well, who can fork out 250 for a case, shoulh be ready to give 300 for the mbo.

I am wondering if they will able to push top tier processors due power demand

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Two brief open box reviews of the Z490-I Gaming. No doubt more in-depth reviews will come shortly. But, in the meantime, I am happy to see how the dual M.2 SSDs work on the top of the mobo.
Just feast on the pics.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Just like the X570 ITX motherboards. This seems like a trend. *sigh*

My new build is on hold until the AMD B550 boards come out. I'm hoping those will be more reasonably priced.

I'm also not sure what kind of lifespan Z490 is going to have. It seems like the 10th Gen Intel CPUs won't be around for too long before 11th Gen arrives. Although, for the first time in a long time, 11th Gen CPUs may work on Z490 boards with a BIOS update.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
My new build is on hold until the AMD B550 boards come out. I'm hoping those will be more reasonably priced.

I'm also not sure what kind of lifespan Z490 is going to have. It seems like the 10th Gen Intel CPUs won't be around for too long before 11th Gen arrives. Although, for the first time in a long time, 11th Gen CPUs may work on Z490 boards with a BIOS update.
That's already been confirmed, I wouldn't expect it to extend any farther than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexTSG

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
So I know this is the "Asus Z490i" thread, maybe we should start a new thread on the Hardware forum for ITX Z490 boards, but looks like pricing is out for at least three of the boards:

Gigabyte Z490i Aorus Ultra: $270
AsRock Z490 PG ITX/TB3: $280
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming: $300

This is a massive price increase from Z390. At launch, each of these boards' predecessors was ~$90-100 cheaper. That's a 50% price increase in some cases, similar to the price premium on X570 over X470. This tells me that two very similar things happened:
* Massively Overbuilt VRMs. For example, the AsRock Z390 board which was considered the best VRM was a 5-phase with 60A power stages. The new one is a 6-phase with 90A power stages.
* PCIe Gen4 compatibility. This is half speculation, half confirmed but a lot of these boards say they will do PCIe Gen4 with Rocket Lake CPUs in the future. This means Intel's next platform will be PCIe 4.0 on this same socket, explaining the need for LGA1200 and new motherboards. We know PCIe 4.0 traces and wiring is not cheap, often requiring more PCB layers, but I suspect this is adding a lot to cost.

The truth then is that the VRMs are way overbuilt for this generation of chips, except maybe the i9-10900K, and the motherboards are built to support a PCIe standard the chips don't support either. So you can spend $100 less on a motherboard and get a 9th gen chip, and it will be roughly equivalent in performance unless you really really need 10 (Intel) cores. Assuming the 9th gen chip prices go down (not a guarantee) I don't see how going Comet Lake makes any sense. Better to wait for Rocket Lake, because once those chips launch I doubt anyone will want your 6-month-old Comet Lake part.

Reactions: ParallaxStax

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
IF only the MSI had the Intel Network... Why they still keep the Realtek one??? But this time we have 2 MB with Thunderbolt!

kanth

Trash Compacter
Feb 20, 2019
IF only the MSI had the Intel Network... Why they still keep the Realtek one??? But this time we have 2 MB with Thunderbolt!

You got me wondering mate ?
I was about to pre order the MSI Unify , till I saw this,
What's so bad regarding the Network card ?

I think at the moment aside of this is the best ITX mobo for intel 10nth gen no?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You got me wondering mate ?
I was about to pre order the MSI Unify , till I saw this,
What's so bad regarding the Network card ?

I think at the moment aside of this is the best ITX mobo for intel 10nth gen no?
You should be glad they are using Realtek because the Intel 2.5 GBe has a design flaw that is causing it to only operate at 1GBe.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
You should be glad they are using Realtek because the Intel 2.5 GBe has a design flaw that is causing it to only operate at 1GBe.
That was true, but all the manufacturers seems that they’ve already released the MB with the V2 of the Intel Network 2,5gb with the issue fixed.

BTW, I really like instead the Gigabyte one, the cooling system without fans seems super good, as well the VRMs!

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
That was true, but all the manufacturers seems that they’ve already released the MB with the V2 of the Intel Network 2,5gb with the issue fixed.
Looks like this V2 still does not solve the problem entirely.

Reactions: fabio and rfarmer

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Visited a local PC mall and saw actual MSI Z490-I Unify and Asus Z490-I Strix Gaming available. Judging from the display Asus one, the height of the M.2 triple decker is not as high as I thought. So, purely from eyeballing, I have high hope to fit my Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 into the CPU socket.

Will wait until Sept/Oct before buying one. By that time, this 2.5GbE matter should be 100% solved. Autumn is a good time to build a new system. 10700K and 10900K are available too but prices, as usual, are jacked up. Should drop after a couple months.

The mall has a lot of people (though not as packed as before) but all are wearing mask.

Reactions: Arboreal and Phuncz

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This Asus board uses a double decker design for two M.2 SSDs on the motherboard top.
Does anyone know any review or user report about this specific layout, particularly the heat dissipation efficiency? I have not seen any actual thermal numbers anywhere in the net.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
This Asus board uses a double decker design for two M.2 SSDs on the motherboard top.
Does anyone know any review or user report about this specific layout, particularly the heat dissipation efficiency? I have not seen any actual thermal numbers anywhere in the net.
Am I wrong or in the last 2 months we had a lack in general of reviews??

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I really don't like two things on this board: The integrated IO shield, and the double decker M.2 style slot.

I've had issues with GPU backplates and overly large integrated IO shields in the past, particularly MSI GPUs. I prefer they didn't have them.

The bigger issue is the double decker M.2. This looks like it would interfere with coolers like the Noctua L12s. I would MUCH rather have the m.2 slots on the back of the board.

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of M.2. It's useful in the smallest of the small PCs, but it lacks the versatility of 2.5 inch SSDs. I really wish SATA express had taken off.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The bigger issue is the double decker M.2. This looks like it would interfere with coolers like the Noctua L12s. I would MUCH rather have the m.2 slots on the back of the board.

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of M.2. It's useful in the smallest of the small PCs, but it lacks the versatility of 2.5 inch SSDs. I really wish SATA express had taken off.
It would be a shame if the NH-L12S does not fit. There are gaps between the 2 decks that are obviously designed to let air coming from a top down air cooler to pass through to cool the SSDs and chipset.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
It would be a shame if the NH-L12S does not fit. There are gaps between the 2 decks that are obviously designed to let air coming from a top down air cooler to pass through to cool the SSDs and chipset.

I doubt it will. It didn't fit the Z390, and the standard L12 doesn't have as much cooling ability.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
It seems the only Z490 ITX boards that the L12S fits on right now are the Gigabyte, MSI, and base model Asrock. Everything else is mechanically incompatible per Noctua.