• 2x m.2 2280 "at top"
  • Wifi 6 AX201 + Bluetooth 5.1 + 2.5 gig ethernet
  • "13" usb ports
  • No TB3
  • Up to DDR4 4800

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
So other really interesting thing here is that there are two high-end mATX boards, which is a good sign for fans of mATX.

EDIT: I say "high end" but they don't support SLI. Still, they have USB Type E front connector, 2.5gb ethernet, dual M.2, etc. So still pretty good.

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Mar 10, 2020
Meh....
Just one thing !
Z490 will be more expensive than z390 and you must buy them for the new intel cpu that bring nothing new.
The other issue with this generation is the TDP, unfortunately these cpu need a lot of power

I think this generation of cpu is very bad. You should stay on 9th generation if you make a SFF build with a high end cpu

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 24, 2019
Meh....
Just one thing !
Z490 will be more expensive than z390 and you must buy them for the new intel cpu that bring nothing new.
The other issue with this generation is the TDP, unfortunately these cpu need a lot of power

I think this generation of cpu is very bad. You should stay on 9th generation if you make a SFF build with a high end cpu
The best (in terms of power consumption) cpu for SFF right now is probally the 3700X. 8 cores/16 threads at only 65W TDP is amazing. Hopefully ryzen 4000 has 12 cores at 65 watts.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The best (in terms of power consumption) cpu for SFF right now is probally the 3700X. 8 cores/16 threads at only 65W TDP is amazing. Hopefully ryzen 4000 has 12 cores at 65 watts.

Fortunately they already do on 3rd gen with the R9 3900 (OEM). Many boards allow you to set a configurable TDP to 65W so you can get a 3900X at 65w that way as well (with some performance loss)

Reactions: riba2233

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
Z490 is actually presenting nothing newer than 390. I don’t think that people would buy it just for higher RAM frequency which is pointless with current Intel CPUs. I personally wouldn’t invest any money on Intel unless they achieve stg better than 7nm and 65w TDP. It is just a money trap.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
We can debate the merits of Intel vs. AMD but I would suggest doing it in another thread. The chips aren't out yet and we don't know how good or bad they will be. Some people are chasing single-thread performance over multiple cores, and for that Intel 14nm is still top dog at the moment. Also remember than 9th gen CPUs are not 95W CPUs but much higher; the rumored 120W TDP of some Comet Lake chips just means their sustained clock will be higher in certain situations which aren't really relevant to enthusiast systems anyway (Because most of us set PL1 and PL2 to hours in length anyway).

And to say Z490 presents nothing over Z390 is presumptuous. It's also disproved by these leaked specs (if accurate). Are there any Z390 mITX boards with dual top-mounted M.2 slots? Any with 2.5 Gb Ethernet? Any with WiFi 6?

Lets wait to see the boards before we start writing anything off.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Active VRM heatsink ? Just charge us more and build a larger passive solution, nobody is buying these boards to meet a budget.

Reactions: iatacs19

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
For the Z490-I Gaming, it says two M.2 at top. I wonder how they find space to accommodate 2 M.2 SSDs? Could it, somehow, they are stacked? This could be an improvement as an M.2 on back usually just does not have much ventilation.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
For the Z490-I Gaming, it says two M.2 at top. I wonder how they find space to accommodate 2 M.2 SSDs? Could it, somehow, they are stacked? This could be an improvement as an M.2 on back usually just does not have much ventilation.
I was wondering that too, I really hope it isn't a SO-DIMM module like the x570 Crosshair.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Hmmm.....knowing how Asus has been doing things, it's probably actually a big 4 phase with doublers. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not as good as a true 8.

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Mar 10, 2020
We can debate the merits of Intel vs. AMD but I would suggest doing it in another thread. The chips aren't out yet and we don't know how good or bad they will be. Some people are chasing single-thread performance over multiple cores, and for that Intel 14nm is still top dog at the moment. Also remember than 9th gen CPUs are not 95W CPUs but much higher; the rumored 120W TDP of some Comet Lake chips just means their sustained clock will be higher in certain situations which aren't really relevant to enthusiast systems anyway (Because most of us set PL1 and PL2 to hours in length anyway).

And to say Z490 presents nothing over Z390 is presumptuous. It's also disproved by these leaked specs (if accurate). Are there any Z390 mITX boards with dual top-mounted M.2 slots? Any with 2.5 Gb Ethernet? Any with WiFi 6?

Lets wait to see the boards before we start writing anything off.
That’s why I’m telling this...
I don’t want to create a debate, I’m warning you.
Motherboards appeared for 2 days and tech spot told that MB will be up 70% more expensive ... youhouuuu

and I don’t have plutonium for a new intel pc :D

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Neat! So good news:
  • There is no DIMM.2 card sticking off the board. They must be doing double-stacked M.2s under that heat spreader, which does say on top of it "DUAL M.2" so they probably have one header going East-West and the other going West-East at different z-heights.
  • There are 3 fan headers - two at the top and one at the very bottom in between what look like HD Audio and USB2.0 headers.
  • There's Temp Sensor headers in the bottom left!
  • There's a Type-E USB (USB-C Front IO) Header! In addition to a 19-pin USB3 header.
  • There's both 12v and 5v RGB headers.
  • Top right has what look like Debug LEDs.
  • Tons of rear-USB
  • What looks like Bios Flashback on the rear as well.
Bad news:
  • No Toslink (unless there's an optical/3.5 combo jack), poor rear audio in general.
  • Not sure if there's a Type-C on the rear I/O (can't tell). Maybe there's one below the Network port?
  • No Thunderbolt, nor any Thunderbolt header on the board it seems.
  • Really tall heatsinks all around the socket that may cause problems with air coolers.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Interesting to see various manufacturers use different onboard M.2 design.
One of the 2 Asrock Z490 ITX manages to put two M.2 socket side by side on the top.
(https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/asrock-z490-motherboards-revealed.13108/)

Now, Asus uses this 'one-on-top-of-the-other' stacked approach.

MSI's is here:-

Gigabyte's is here:-

Looks like these two use the traditional design (one one top and the other one on the mobo bottom). Pics look blurry but it looks like that to me.

And, seems most use tall heatsink + beefy rear IO shield. I hope my TR SA130 can fit onto the Asus one. Read that these mobos will hit retail by end of May.