News Asus Avalon PC: custom everything !

Although DIY desktops have advanced and evolved at a relentless pace in the decades since the standard’s inception, they are in some ways exactly the same. The components still connect with wires and slots and screws, and they’re still closed off in a chassis that serves largely as an independent shell and scaffolding.

We can do better.

The technology exists to make PCs more modular, easier to build, and more tightly integrated than ever before. We know this because the designers and engineers in our Republic of Gamers division have developed a working prototype showcasing the possibilities. Dubbed Avalon, this proof of concept debuted at our ROG press conference kicking off Computex 2016. It explores a new path forward for do-it-yourself gaming machines and PCs as a whole.

Read More

While it's huge, it does have some interesting features that have been talked about here, like the PCB to PCB power connection and alternative PCIe connector locations and orientations. Interesting stuff !

It has an In-Win logo on the back too !

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I was debating whether to make a news post but in the end decided it was too big.

It does have some interesting concepts but I hate how they tout it as being a way to make PCs more upgradeable and easier to build while forcing users into a proprietary motherboard, case, and PSU. If things are going to be proprietary, I'd rather see something like Razer's Project Christine where practically every component truly is plug and play.

Edit: At least it uses SFX, that's cool. Whoever decided on the layout for the "workstation" IO module apparently didn't ask professionals what they wanted. 4x USB isn't nearly enough, I'd want preferably 10 ports.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Oh damn, that is a sexy piece of system design, even if it's damn huge.

I'm really in two minds about this sort of thing. On one hand, I love the idea of having less cables and everything connect directly like that. It allows for easy building and has the potential to reclaim space currently used by thick and clunky cables.
It's an interesting precursor of the idea to have a standardised system where the "motherboard" is really just a breakout board and managing unit for the CPU sockets PCIe lanes so you can plug in everything in every combination.

On the other hand, a lot of the cool builds we see every day are only possible because everything is connected by wires. You can relocate components however you want to, you can make a scratch build without having to manufacture your own board, you can try the craziest of layouts and make interesting mods, something that would be completely lost if everything was statically connected.

In the end, this seems to be the way barebones could be going. Who really knows.

It does have some interesting concepts but I hate how they tout it as being a way to make PCs more upgradeable and easier to build while forcing users into a proprietary motherboard, case, and PSU.

If that stuff was widely adopted, it would be standardised. What I thought was funny is that they were very proud about integrating front I/O, which is a completely novel idea that I've never seen in any NUC or mSTX board ever.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Whoever decided on the layout for the "workstation" IO module apparently didn't ask professionals what they wanted. 4x USB isn't nearly enough, I'd want preferably 10 ports.
Along with eSATA and Thunderbolt I'd reckon, they could have done more with this idea.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I liked the edge board PSU that eliminated all psu cable clutter and gave all power to the MB. That is super nice and would reduce cable clutter so much...