News ASRock DeskMini B660: A LGA1700 barebone with PCIe 5.0 SSD, USB 3.2 Gen2×2 and DDR4

LINK: https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=4807
Other sources: LINK LINK

ASRock DeskMini B660
  • Intel12th Gen Core processors up to 65 watts TDP
  • 2× SO-DIMM DDR4 3200Mhz
  • 2 x 2280 M.2 slots (1 PCIe 5.0 and 1 PCIe 4.0)
  • 1x USB 3.2 Gen2x2 Type C , 1x USB 3.2 Gen1 Type A and 3.5mm audio jack in front
  • 1× USB 3.2 Gen-2x1 Type-C with ALT mode in back offering DP and PD (60w) connectivity in rear I/O
  • Supports 3 monitors USB-C, Displayport 1.4a and HDMI? (assuming, not stated)
  • Intel Gigabit lan and M.2 2230 Wi-Fi/BT slot
  • 155 × 155 × 80 mm (L×H×W)
  • External power adapter

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
x300 with 5600g will give you around 9-12 watt idle, not sure about intel. The monolithic design of the Cezanne is extremely power efficient. Intel will maybe need more power as there is a chipset on the physical board which is always powered up. AMD is without chipset since it originated from a mobile soc design

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
There is now finally instructions (in German) for patching old microcode, but this might only help on certain processors.

~19k CBr23 score with 13600k on Deskmini b660 @ 75w.

Gothw

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 27, 2023
Hey Everyone!

Please help! I have strange situation. I spent 2 days on troubleshouting in vain until i noticed this.

I bought an Deskmini B660, CPU 12600K and a NVME SSD Crucial P5.

My problem:

In BIOS, the CPU is detected corectly, but in the H/W Monitor it doesnt show the temps nor the fan speed.

Also i cannot install windows 11 because it doesnt detect the NVME SSD. (i tried both M.2 slots)

I tried updating BIOS, but it didnt recognize the rom.

So after a few days i noticed in the BIOS a different name of the BIOS.
It was "B660M-ITX/ac 5.03"

But on the Motherboard i have "B660M-STX rev 1.02"

Does anyone know how can i change the BIOS to the corect version "B660M-STX x.x" ?

Thank you all!

mknrls

Caliper Novice
Oct 12, 2019
Hey Everyone!

Please help! I have strange situation. I spent 2 days on troubleshouting in vain until i noticed this.

I bought an Deskmini B660, CPU 12600K and a NVME SSD Crucial P5.

My problem:

In BIOS, the CPU is detected corectly, but in the H/W Monitor it doesnt show the temps nor the fan speed.

Also i cannot install windows 11 because it doesnt detect the NVME SSD. (i tried both M.2 slots)

I tried updating BIOS, but it didnt recognize the rom.

So after a few days i noticed in the BIOS a different name of the BIOS.
It was "B660M-ITX/ac 5.03"

But on the Motherboard i have "B660M-STX rev 1.02"

Does anyone know how can i change the BIOS to the corect version "B660M-STX x.x" ?

Thank you all!
that the wrong bios. Bios for deskmini is located here:

instructions: https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS9

Gothw

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 27, 2023
that the wrong bios. Bios for deskmini is located here:

instructions: https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS9
Thank you for replying.

Yes, I tried that.
I downloaded on a usb drive, from asrock, the BIOS 13.02 and 14.02 for B660M-STX, also BIOS 9.02 for B660M-ITX/ac (to test if the BIOS flashing is working). Then according to instructions Tools / Instant Flash:
It recognized only the version BIOS 9.02 for B660M-ITX/ac. It didnt see the right rom`s for the B660M-STX.

I checked the B660M-ITX/ac. ( https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B660M-ITXac/index.asp#BIOS ) and it is not my motherboard.

Maybe there is a tool to force the bios flashing with the "wrong" rom. I haven't find such a tool.

mknrls

Caliper Novice
Oct 12, 2019
Thank you for replying.

Yes, I tried that.
I downloaded on a usb drive, from asrock, the BIOS 13.02 and 14.02 for B660M-STX, also BIOS 9.02 for B660M-ITX/ac (to test if the BIOS flashing is working). Then according to instructions Tools / Instant Flash:
It recognized only the version BIOS 9.02 for B660M-ITX/ac. It didnt see the right rom`s for the B660M-STX.

I checked the B660M-ITX/ac. ( https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B660M-ITXac/index.asp#BIOS ) and it is not my motherboard.

Maybe there is a tool to force the bios flashing with the "wrong" rom. I haven't find such a tool.
Option 1: Get a ch341a bios programmer (can be found on amazon or aliexpress) clipping it on a the physical bios chip and using the asprogrammer or ch341a software to flash the latest bios file. (the tool that can force any bios)

Option 2: find a shop/friends that has the tools to reflash the bios or do an RMA with asrock

Last edited:
Reactions: Gothw and shiris

protocolsix

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2022
This board has a M2 PCIe x4 Gen 5 slot - is this sufficient for the use of any GPU without bandwidth limitations/bottlenecks? I'm wondering which riser would be ideal for the B660 Deskmini.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
This board has a M2 PCIe x4 Gen 5 slot - is this sufficient for the use of any GPU without bandwidth limitations/bottlenecks? I'm wondering which riser would be ideal for the B660 Deskmini.
No, because you won't find a m.2 riser that will do Gen 5. But Gen 4 x 4 is generally within 5% or less of the performance of Gen 3 x 16.

ADT link sells many m.2 to x16 risers

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I recently bought one of these and had it delivered on Saturday. I have been using a DeskMini X300 with a 4350G for several years now as a HTPC/Plex server and overall it has been good but I do some audio and video conversion and the 4350G is a bit underwhelming. Black Friday I upgraded my main rig from a 12600k to a 13600kf so I had an extra 12600k. I went with an ID Cooling IS-40X v3 which seems go be a decent little cooler, all black and looks really good and a surprising amount of weight. Haven't done any real workloads yet but cooling seems good. I thought I was going to have to set power limits but Asrock has them locked down with PL1 at 65W and PL2 at 75W, considering my power brick and cooler should be perfect. I do like the addition of 2 more usb ports over the X300 because I can never have enough usb. I do wish Asrock would lose the VGA and use 2xHDMI and 1XDP instead. Overall very happy with my upgrade to the B660. Not sure what the issue @Gothw was having because HWMonitor displays both my temp and fan speed like normal

Reactions: mknrls and shiris

Gothw

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 27, 2023
Hi,

I followed MKNRLS advice, and solved the problem by Flashing Bios Chip.
Option 1: Get a ch341a bios programmer (can be found on amazon or aliexpress) clipping it on a the physical bios chip and using the asprogrammer or ch341a software to flash the latest bios file. (the tool that can force any bios)

If anyone interested, i use this guide:

I flashed the correct Bios version (B660M-STX) taken from the asrock website.
Now it seems to work as it should.

And asrock support didn't bother to reply to my email sent last year :)

TThanks and All the best to all!

Reactions: mknrls and Arboreal