Motherboard Asrock B450 Fatal1ty itx NVMe issue

gbellman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Hi all, anyone using Asrock B450 Fatal1ty itx with m.2 NVMe ssd as boot drive? My mobo hang at bios load up screen whenever I plugged in the NVMe ssd.

My hardware:

1. cpu: 3700x & 3400G, both also same outcome
2: ram: Klevv Bolt X 16GBx1 3200MHz, running at default 2666MHz, didn’t change anything
3: ssd: SKHynix PC601 m.2 NVMe 512GB

Bios setting:

1. Bios version: default 3.50, flashed to 3.40 & 3.70 - same outcome

2. m.2 slot: Auto, SATA, NVMe, Enabled - same outcome

3. m.2 pcie: Auto, Gen 1,2,3 - same outcome

If install Samsung evo 850 SATA m.2, detected, no hang.
Testing the SKHynix NVMe ssd on my friend’s TUF gaming laptop, detected, no hang.

Sent request to Asrock Customer Support, no news after almost 3 weeks. Already sent the 2nd request just now, wondering if they ever exist?

Anyone can help? What else should I do? Anything that I missed out?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I'm running the ASRock B450 itx + NVME SSD as a Win10 boot drive with no issues. It was all plug and play.
From your post it sounds like you have a SATA M.2 SSD that works, but when you swap it out for the NVME M.2 it hangs? Does it hang loading windows or does it hang before BIOS? In other words, can you access the BIOS with the NVME installed? If it hangs on loading Windows, have you tried reformating the SSD? Perhaps the Windows install has become corrupted or is somehow not configured to work properly with your hardware setup if it was installed on another machine.

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
I have a 2600X and a sx8200 pro 1tb as my boot drive on the asrock b450 board. I had problems cloning from a old drive, but that may have been the fault of Acronis true imahe software. It works great now though.

gbellman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
I'm running the ASRock B450 itx + NVME SSD as a Win10 boot drive with no issues. It was all plug and play.
From your post it sounds like you have a SATA M.2 SSD that works, but when you swap it out for the NVME M.2 it hangs? Does it hang loading windows or does it hang before BIOS? In other words, can you access the BIOS with the NVME installed? If it hangs on loading Windows, have you tried reformating the SSD? Perhaps the Windows install has become corrupted or is somehow not configured to work properly with your hardware setup if it was installed on another machine.

Nop, nvr have chance to install windows yet. It freezes at the screen with Asrock at the middle, ‘Press xxxxx’ to access bios at bottom right corner. I can access the bios with sata m.2, or without any m.2 ssd installed.

your cpu is? 2nd or 3rd gen?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I had this problem with a bad M.2 drive on 2 different motherboards, hangs at BIOS because it is trying to identify the drive and failing. With me it was a bad drive but since yours does work in the laptop I am not sure, try reinstalling the drive, make sure you have it in there really good with good contact.

Reactions: gbellman