Cooling "Artificial Graphene" film?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Came across this... Link

The product translation is awful on this site, but any idea what this stuff is and if it's legit?
If so, why isn't everyone using it for thermal pads? Or what is the purpose of it?

"Horizontal thermal conductivity: 1500~1800 W / m.k
Vertical thermal conductivity: 15 ~ 20 W / m.k"

Yeah so most thermal pads are in the 5-6 W / mk range.
Then there's Fujipoly extreme, which is 17 W/ mk but insanely expensive imo.

So that would make this stuff amazing if it works, but I don't see any pictures of it being used in between heatsinks.

I'm thinking maybe it could be of use for removable case panels that need to contact another surface to conduct heat, but still be easily removable and not involve messy TIM.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Sounds like pyrolytic graphite sheets:

Here's a pdf with example applications, and a paper (also pdf) that compares it to aluminum for use in heat sinks. Seems pretty good.

Looking over the materials, my guess is because the thermal resistance is still higher than silicon grease, and thermal pads aren't generally used in such temperature-critical applications, it may not make sense as a replacement for either in a lot of applications.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Great find. Looks like its most common uses are diffusing heat on chassis surfaces, like a laptop or phone... although one of those diagrams showed it being used as a thermal interface between a heatsink. I think it could be great for certain special uses where you do not want a messy TIM compound or a sticky thermal pad. I'm thinking, the heatsink attachment point on the DB4 case possibly. Removable areas of a chassis.