Log Apu build

timmoes

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Oct 6, 2023
Hi all I was looking to upgrade my pc and whilst browsing came across the small form factor pcs , before I knew it I have without much thought or planning purchased a mini itx motherboard and a ryzen 5600g apu, I only do light browsing and play older games so that is sufficient for me. When it comes to case and psu iam stumped , I had seen a few youtube videos of the chopin pro case which comes with a 200w psu. I did not know however you cant find them in the UK at all. So really was looking for case and psu to fit case recommendations. Roughly size and price of chopin would be great and available! What of you guys used?

Tallgeese

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2017
200 watts should be perfectly fine for your build.

Can you not order straight from them? Chopin MAX (in-win.com)
I have no clue what is "max" about that one but dimensions seem the same.

I bought an FX4.9 through Custommod and it arrived to the US in about a month. Factoring in the cost of a PSU would likely be double the chopin but you can get some truly small stuff through them.
I personally not going to pursue my FX4.9 build (a me thing, not them), but I can say they were nice throughout the whole process and the case was VERY well made.

If I made an APU build I'd likely do a Case SL2 3.7L | SFF Cases Custom MOD (custom-mod.com) , densium apu if they ever get it sorted, or something like a Gemcases C9 (I'm a FAN of airflow, no mater the case size).

Reactions: GEMCASES

timmoes

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Oct 6, 2023
Thanks for the suggestions the custommod stuff is amazing , it's all adding up price wise though , I should of done my homework , going to try and do some budget bargain hunting on aliexpress and have another think!

Tallgeese

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions the custommod stuff is amazing , it's all adding up price wise though , I should of done my homework , going to try and do some budget bargain hunting on aliexpress and have another think!

So, quick question, is size a truly big issue, or you just wanting to make the smallest thing possible?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
If you enjoy having a case and being able to upgrade/save some parts of it, despite spending more money then get a chopin or similar. Seems to me like a good amount of the people that get a chopin do so because they are re-using a couple of parts they already have, so it makes sense for them instead of getting a new AIO pc. Its also a bit more repair friendly and better on thermal issues and noise.

If you don't care as much about saving parts of it during upgrade cycle, then just get a barebones AIO mini pc like deskmini x300 or a minisforum. Saves a little money and is smaller and uses less power. While the minisforum models are cutting edge in performance, some are known to have have bad thermal issues, the deskmini platform is relatively stable but the availability is spotty. There are also AIO mini pc from the likes of Dell or Lenovo like the P3 tiny, expect to pay a big premium for these.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
I am still running these three APU builds;
and, imo> each build is better that my previous effort!
  1. InWin Chopin B450 mini-ITX Ryzen5 3400G
  2. Brickless B550 mini-ITX Ryzen5-4650G
  3. A09 Mini ITX Desktop Core i5-12600K
She loves the In-Win Chopin
The B550 mini-ITX Ryzen5-4650G is my reliable second/test machine, Yes I need two!
A09 Mini ITX Desktop Core i5-12600K is my main (snappy-fast) machine

Each of the last two builds use a cheap/used, high-quality Delta DPS-350AB-12 power supply which I pickup on EBay for $10 or $20.

Tallgeese

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2017
If you enjoy having a case and being able to upgrade/save some parts of it, despite spending more money then get a chopin or similar. Seems to me like a good amount of the people that get a chopin do so because they are re-using a couple of parts they already have, so it makes sense for them instead of getting a new AIO pc. Its also a bit more repair friendly and better on thermal issues and noise.

If you don't care as much about saving parts of it during upgrade cycle, then just get a barebones AIO mini pc like deskmini x300 or a minisforum. Saves a little money and is smaller and uses less power. While the minisforum models are cutting edge in performance, some are known to have have bad thermal issues, the deskmini platform is relatively stable but the availability is spotty. There are also AIO mini pc from the likes of Dell or Lenovo like the P3 tiny, expect to pay a big premium for these.

Yeah, thats were I was headed with this. The older I get the more I find if I spend a little extra on a task now, it usually ends up a much better deal in the long run. Yeah a different case and HDPLEX (as an example) may cost you more now, but you can always use the HDPLEX later down the road. Same with any of the components.