Any headway in kit/enclosures for the AC/DC 400w psu?

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 25, 2019
Brickless builds are naturally a bit more complex/involved than having an external brick. The other thread I saw was a bit older and despite not having found anything online, I was hoping someone else was informed. Is there any available snug enclosure for the 400w ac/dc psu, or an ongoing project to sell it in a neat enclosure thats still smaller than the 330w dell?

Freebo

Chassis Packer
Apr 4, 2019
I too am looking for one, I think in a previous video Josh said he was going to look into it (was a while ago so not sure if anything ever happened). I also did find some CAD documents of ones people made (including an interesting cylindrical heatsink finned style one) but no actual end products yet. I will be using mine externally anyway but a caddy or some sort of case/cover would be great!

Reactions: Secret-Misthios

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 25, 2019
I too am looking for one, I think in a previous video Josh said he was going to look into it (was a while ago so not sure if anything ever happened). I also did find some CAD documents of ones people made (including an interesting cylindrical heatsink finned style one) but no actual end products yet. I will be using mine externally anyway but a caddy or some sort of case/cover would be great!

I've only seen the pictures in passing rather than in a build. Is using it as an external brick make it any likely for wires or metal to get in the way of anything and potentially create a hazard? As in, are you setting it to dangle down from where the case is resting or at its side?

Freebo

Chassis Packer
Apr 4, 2019
I've only seen the pictures in passing rather than in a build. Is using it as an external brick make it any likely for wires or metal to get in the way of anything and potentially create a hazard? As in, are you setting it to dangle down from where the case is resting or at its side?

I've not completed my build but it'd be more of an aesthetic thing for me, it'll be sat on the bench behind it hopefully out of site until I rethink my graphics card choice.

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 25, 2019
Were ya'll thinking like a 3D printed case?

Yea anything like that. I know the product is durable but I'm skeptical about dangling the cables like that and leaving the bare product out. Even if it adds a little bit of size, so long as it's still smaller than the Dell 330w, ideally with some way to further protect the cables I'd jump on it.

I'd gladly pay for someone to pay an ex closure for it.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yea anything like that. I know the product is durable but I'm skeptical about dangling the cables like that and leaving the bare product out. Even if it adds a little bit of size, so long as it's still smaller than the Dell 330w, ideally with some way to further protect the cables I'd jump on it.

I'd gladly pay for someone to pay an ex closure for it.

Thoughts? Do you want an exploded view?

If there's a bit of interest I'll create a thread in custom cases and projects.

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 25, 2019

Thoughts? Do you want an exploded view?

If there's a bit of interest I'll create a thread in custom cases and projects.
Wow. That is amazing looking. To be honest, I think you should definitely create a thread for it. I know for a fact that there are countless people that would be very interested on it. It allows them to still keep a stronger gpu in the Mini [and other cases] without sacrificing the look of the brick. Do keep me posted on this; very interested.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Wow. That is amazing looking. To be honest, I think you should definitely create a thread for it. I know for a fact that there are countless people that would be very interested on it. It allows them to still keep a stronger gpu in the Mini [and other cases] without sacrificing the look of the brick. Do keep me posted on this; very interested.

Over in Josh_NFC's discord, we're discussing it right now, and have moved to an endcap design.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Okay, a dedicated thread has been created here, and all discussion pertaining to my project should go there:

Freebo

Chassis Packer
Apr 4, 2019
Now I've been using the HD Plex 400 for a while externally I would highly recommend/welcome some sort of modification to cap the ends off. I made a booboo when disconnecting the power lead from the C14 where after it disconnected the C14 socket fell onto the brick and exploded as the back pins on the C14 arent fully covered and managed to bridge the neutral with the earth! Safe to say I've now put more electrical tape around the pins to prevent this happening again!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Now I've been using the HD Plex 400 for a while externally I would highly recommend/welcome some sort of modification to cap the ends off. I made a booboo when disconnecting the power lead from the C14 where after it disconnected the C14 socket fell onto the brick and exploded as the back pins on the C14 arent fully covered and managed to bridge the neutral with the earth! Safe to say I've now put more electrical tape around the pins to prevent this happening again!

As I understand it, the power cord was disconnected. The power entry inlet then somehow got bridged, then the remaining capacitance was discharged against the enclosure?

Yeah this is really a freak accident if true. Most of the acdc should have a bleed function but it seems like the accident happened before it could bleed.

PS, this is why I do NOT like the two prong.

Reactions: Windfall