Another atempt at (hacking) TFX PSUs

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
As I've stated a long time ago in this forum, I'm a huge enthusiast of the TFX form factor, since here where I live, it can be bought for as low as 17 dolars (300W, Seasonic, second hand).

Most of you guys, at the time of my previous post, stated that the TFX form factor is impractical since is heavily "cube shaped" and it causes an unnecessary increase in case volume. Let me point that this is absolutely right.

All the pointed cons made absolute sense at the time, but the budget factor made me walk in circles around the SS-300TFX. After some research and after watching this video, I noticed that most of the PSU's volume come from the fan that sits over the power rectifier circuit. We are talking about 25mm at least...

Now, back to SFF. A lot of members from this forum use (and encourage the use of) Meanwell open frame PSUs. With that in mind, how hard would it be to disassemble the SS-300TFX and use it in open frame configuration? Considering the costs, the lack of need for a DC-DC converter and the reliability of seasonic products, I guess it deserves a try. What do you think?

Reactions: Bjornyyy and Phuncz

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
This PSU counts with two separated 12v rails, capable of powering 252w through the sum of power from both of them. With correct isolation, I can see it powering both a 65w CPU and a mid-end GPU, fed through a 6 pin connector.

Reactions: Phuncz

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
If my math is not bad enough, the Seasonic SS-300TFX could be made a good flex-ATX PSU (40mm height). All it needs is a way to cool its most thermal sensitive internals and Voilà!, a cheap and trustworthy small PSU!

Reactions: Bjornyyy and Phuncz