Anandtech [Anandtech] CES 2016: GIGABYTE’s Double Length Gaming BRIX

The BRIX mini-PC line from GIGABYTE is an odd internal mashup within the company whereby the server business unit designs it, but the consumer arm does the marketing and sales. We’ve covered several BRIX units in the past, focusing on new technologies such as Iris Pro as well as the mobile CPU line. The BRIX design is made to offer a very small way of building a base PC, similar to the NUC. If we remember back a couple of years ago, GIGABYTE did a couple of models in red and green, with integrated mobile GPUs from AMD and NVIDIA respectively, aimed at the gaming market. These stalled for various reasons, partly because the mini-PC market isn't focused at gaming, and the power of the GPUs in play. So fast forward to 2016, and at CES this year GIGABYTE had a different take on the design and was asking for input from booth attendees.

image courtesy of Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9945/ces-2016-gigabytes-double-length-gaming-brix

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Great idea in theory, MXM needs more love, but with that heatsink and that fan, it's still going to be extremely loud, which was one of the main problems people had with the gaming BRIX.
I think something like this with a socketed CPU (mSTX?) would be extremely interesting, especially as something as powerful as the GTX 980 is probably available as MXM by now.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Excellent, now I don't need to do this to my NUC in its oversized passive case :D