Anandtech [Anandtech] AMD Cuts Price of Radeon R9 Nano to $499

Word comes from AMD via a press release this morning that they are giving the Radeon R9 Nano a price cut. AMD’s diminutive flagship, which launched in September 2015 at $649, is now the first Fiji card to get an official price cut, with AMD lowering the MSRP to $499 effective immediately.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9938/amd-cuts-price-of-radeon-r9-nano-to-499

This is going to make the R9 Nano a much more viable alternative for SFF gaming rigs, that are looking for more horsepower than the GTX970 Mini can deliver but can't fit a GTX980. I think it is a very good move, although previous buyers of the R9 Nano might feel a bit effed.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Bah, was writing up the post and got busy.

That's great news though. I had considered picking one up for a project when it released but the price was just too much. The new price is great, but now that they're hyping Polaris and the power efficiency gains of the new 16nm/14nm process node, it's much less exciting. I really wish they had released at this price point.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes indeed, although anyone wanting to build an SFF rig now and not wait until the new stuff arrives (I'm guessing around June), this is a very welcome price cut !

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
This is great, the price has significantly dropped in Europe as well! The HIS R9 Nano can be bought for 508€ now, including taxes! So compared to the cheapest ITX 970 (320€, Gigabyte), you just pay a 60% premium instead of a 100% one, which is certainly an improvement. And when the comparison is made to a 980, you just pay 30€ extra, which is pretty amazing. (Everyone not interested in SFF is shaking their head right now)

Some Random Lunatic

What's an ITX?
Jan 14, 2016
This is great, the price has significantly dropped in Europe as well! The HIS R9 Nano can be bought for 508€ now, including taxes! So compared to the cheapest ITX 970 (320€, Gigabyte), you just pay a 60% premium instead of a 100% one, which is certainly an improvement. And when the comparison is made to a 980, you just pay 30€ extra, which is pretty amazing. (Everyone not interested in SFF is shaking their head right now)
Where?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Considering the next gen GPUs are still about half a year ahead of us, if you really can't wait, this is the ITX card to get !

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
We shall see. The midrange may be out in half that time, and it's power relative to current gen is looking promising, if the demoed Polaris card is any indication of how things can scale.