News AMD X570 ITX Motherboards

So we have 1 confirmed so far:

The Crosshair VIII Impact is the ITX variant.

I'm hoping here that Asus think Zen 2 is amazing enough to revive Enthusiast class Impact boards and not offer us neutered versions like the Strix garbage they've been peddling for the last few years!

B550 boards are "speculated" to appear around 6 months after X570.

Last edited:

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Which is better between the Gigabyte and ASRock boards in overclocking a 3700x?

It honestly doesn't matter which board you buy. You will reach thermal / silicon limits long before motherboard choice ever becomes a big factor.
If it matters to you the Gigabyte board has better VRM's than the Asrock, but they will clock exactly the same due to 'current' Zen 2 limits !!!

So pick the board you like / has features you want, and be satisfied you aren't making a bad choice with either board.

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
It honestly doesn't matter which board you buy. You will reach thermal / silicon limits long before motherboard choice ever becomes a big factor.
If it matters to you the Gigabyte board has better VRM's than the Asrock, but they will clock exactly the same due to 'current' Zen 2 limits !!!

So pick the board you like / has features you want, and be satisfied you aren't making a bad choice with either board.

That's what I thought.

Is there any advantage to the active cooling fan on the Giganyte though? Is the heatsink for both chipset and m.2?

For the ASRock, is there a practical use case for Thunderbolt 3?

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019
That's what I thought.

Is there any advantage to the active cooling fan on the Giganyte though? Is the heatsink for both chipset and m.2?

For the ASRock, is there a practical use case for Thunderbolt 3?
It's mainly for the m.2 drive, though they list it as the PCH fan in the bios. The advantage might be that if your raiding pcie 4 NVME drives they won't try to go thermonuclear on you, but I feel like that is debatable.

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
It's mainly for the m.2 drive, though they list it as the PCH fan in the bios. The advantage might be that if your raiding pcie 4 NVME drives they won't try to go thermonuclear on you, but I feel like that is debatable.

I see. That makes sense although I wouldn't think raiding NVME drives is practical anyway, at least not yet. And RAID in itself is debatable especially for SSD's. Is the fan noisy though?

Since the heatsinks of the ASRock are high, won't there be any clearance issues with CPU AIO tubings?

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
I see. That makes sense although I wouldn't think raiding NVME drives is practical anyway, at least not yet. And RAID in itself is debatable especially for SSD's. Is the fan noisy though?

Since the heatsinks of the ASRock are high, won't there be any clearance issues with CPU AIO tubings?

As for the Asrock board having problems with AIO tubing, unlikely, it uses the 'Intel' 115x mounting meaning you have four mounting orientations to play with over the two orientations of the AMD mounting system. The 'keep out' zone looks good, I see nothing obivious to prevent you using an AIO considering you have 4 possible mounting orientations !!!

I'd suggest you have a good read of the thread, it might give you more insight rather than skim reading the last few pages.
I seem to be the only person talking about the Gigabyte board (SFF forum mostly discusses cases, you don't see many people talking about other hardware experiences here as they frequent other forums for that information)
There are many, many people holding out to see what the ASrock and Asus boards are actually like, this is limiting somewhat the amount of available information (on all forums tbh not just here)

Right now we know little about the other boards other than pictures and some 'analysis' !!! What I can tell you is what I have already said and that is due to the thermal and silicon limits of Zen 2, thinking there is going to be a 'Golden' board that will transcend these 'limits' is NOT going to happen !!!!

That statement isn't aimed at you personally. it's for everyone asking the same questions over and over in various parts of the forum. I appreciate there are many people asking these questions with 'limited' hardware knowledge, but I'm going to be completely honest and tell you that there are much better places you can ask these questions and get more detailed responses ;)

One such: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/

Some thoughts of mine on the Gigabyte board from last week below !!!
I wanted this board as soon as I saw it, the buildzoid vid sealed it and I had one on day one (well the Monday actually hehe)
I've lived with it for almost 2 weeks now, it doesn't crash, do anything it shouldn't,.(user error aside) The bios is easy to work with (much better than their clunky bios's from previous platforms)
With one NVME drive installed (currently) I've never heard the PCH fan, and with the latest bios there are fan profiles for it or you can even turn it off.
With the PCH fan off, the NVME drive does not get hot and the PCH hovers around 60c
I have a 2tb drive to put in the rear slot when I get the build finalised, that may change things.

Any rumours of X570 crazy power draw are all bullshit, at 8-10w PCH draw it's not terrible at all.
I've had a powertuned 3600 in the board with a Zotac 1660ti and seen total system power draw of 180w gaming. That's insanely good for a 1440p capable (just) system.
I've also run it with a 3700x and 2080ti just to see the big numbers.
I'm now working on powertuning the 3700x in it and final gfx card for the build is as yet undecided. I'm tempted to sell my RTX cards and just run the 1660ti until Nvidia get to 7nm, or we see more Power efficient RDNA cards (56xx cards perhaps)

It's honestly one of the best ITX boards I've ever used (I've had them all in my hands at various points). It's server grade and oozes quality. It weighs a ton with huge VRM and cooling. You just know this is going to take the "BIG" CPU upgrades as long as AMD keep supporting the platform (till 2021 probably with DDR5)
You really aren't going to get any more out of Zen 2 with the Asus and Asrock boards, (unless you want a specific feature such as TB3 on the Asrock, or more fan headers on the Asus boards perhaps) there is really no point in holding out for them. Build now and enjoy it !!!

These boards are vastly overspecced, with Zen 2 you reach silicon / thermal limits way before you ever need anything as overkill as these boards are.
Current Ryzen 3xxx could also be bad bins with Rome and TR3 taking all the good binned chiplets (for now).
It's early days and we might see better silicon later on !!!

Building for myself I honestly don't care what things cost.
Building for someone on a budget I'd choose a B450 board (B550 later down the line)

I haven't encountered any problems nor am I reading about any (other than trying to make 64gb, 4x16gb kits run above 3200mhz)

In the X570 I :

My R5 3600 runs 2x8gb B-die kits at 3600 C14 no problem at all
My 3700x runs the same kit at 3800 C16 1:1 (1900mhz on the IF is about the limit atm, after that you are using dividers and need silly speed 4500+ kits to get the same performance as a well tuned 3600 kit running 1:1 IF)
I can run 3600 C14 in a Gigabyte B450 I (F41a bios) who's previous best "pre" Ryzen 3xxx was 2933 C12 while it housed a 2400g APU.
On Ryzen 3xxx 3600 is pretty much guaranteed, after that you are playing the lottery with how good the IMC is on the CPU you get !!!

3, 2x8gb kits of B-die tested, two sets of 3600 C16 and one set of 4000 C18
No difference between any of them

You can even pull 3600 C16 from cheap Micron E-die kits such as Ballistix Sport LT
You absolutely do not have to have B-die kits, the performance gains are minimal ;)

You don't even need an X570 Motherboard for Zen 2, X470 and B450 work just as well, just make sure the bios is updated 'before' you try and use a 3xxx CPU with it ;)

I wouldn't advise you go that cheap btw, it's just showing you that motherboards are not the limiting factor with Zen 2 ;)

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Not sure if this has been posted. The ASUS Strix X570-I

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-I-Gaming/

Still waiting for release date and price other than Outlet PC's $300 prediction.
Also waiting for official MSI and Biostar offerings. Currently Gigabyte gets my vote for best x570 ITX board
It has. Some pages back, an ASUS representative on their official ROG Discord channel stated a late August to early September release date window. Really, it is kind of disappointing when all the other big names will have been on the market for about a month at that point. There is no word yet on confirmed pricing, though.

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
As for the Asrock board having problems with AIO tubing, unlikely, it uses the 'Intel' 115x mounting meaning you have four mounting orientations to play with over the two orientations of the AMD mounting system. The 'keep out' zone looks good, I see nothing obivious to prevent you using an AIO considering you have 4 possible mounting orientations !!!

I'd suggest you have a good read of the thread, it might give you more insight rather than skim reading the last few pages.
I seem to be the only person talking about the Gigabyte board (SFF forum mostly discusses cases, you don't see many people talking about other hardware experiences here as they frequent other forums for that information)
There are many, many people holding out to see what the ASrock and Asus boards are actually like, this is limiting somewhat the amount of available information (on all forums tbh not just here)

Right now we know little about the other boards other than pictures and some 'analysis' !!! What I can tell you is what I have already said and that is due to the thermal and silicon limits of Zen 2, thinking there is going to be a 'Golden' board that will transcend these 'limits' is NOT going to happen !!!!

That statement isn't aimed at you personally. it's for everyone asking the same questions over and over in various parts of the forum. I appreciate there are many people asking these questions with 'limited' hardware knowledge, but I'm going to be completely honest and tell you that there are much better places you can ask these questions and get more detailed responses ;)

One such: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/

Some thoughts of mine on the Gigabyte board from last week below !!!

You don't even need an X570 Motherboard for Zen 2, X470 and B450 work just as well, just make sure the bios is updated 'before' you try and use a 3xxx CPU with it ;)

I wouldn't advise you go that cheap btw, it's just showing you that motherboards are not the limiting factor with Zen 2 ;)
I am interested in the Gigabyte board for a few reasons. The big one is that the PCIe slot will run in 16x with 2 M.2 drives installed, unlike my current Asus board that cuts the PCIe slot to 8x with both M.2s installed. The second is that the fan on the chipset is actively cooling the M.2 as well, and the way I like to configure my system is that the OS M.2 is on the front and cooled, the rear M.2 will have all my games and music on it. I'm trying to slim down my build even more by having less drives (I have 2 2.5" SSDs and a 3.5" HDD in my Phanteks Evolv Shift plus the M.2s). Granted the Gigabyte board has only 2 fan headers, I plan on using the Silverstone fan hub to run the 4 fans in my case. I need to email Phanteks to make sure that the riser cable will be fine for PCIe 4.0 since I just got my 5700XT yesterday. The other main reson why I am going to the Gigabyte board is my Asus board will not update the bios to run Ryzen 3000. I have tried and tried but it refuses to update. Time to change it then.

O

Reactions: Rmorrison

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Quick question- on the Gigabyte X570-I board, reading through the manual, its says you should use the included thermal pads on the M.2 drive on the back of the board. If you're sticking thermal pads on the M.2 drive shouldn't you be using a heatsink of some kind too? Or is it ok to just have the thermal pads stuck on the M.2 drive just sort of exposed like that?

This will be my first ground up new PC build in almost 10 years so M.2 drives are new to me.

i went ham to say the least. i got a evga 2080 ti ftw3 ultra still waiting on the 3900x to get restocked. 16gb ram 3600 cl16 (i bought what is said to be B die) 2 tb ssd x2, 1 tb nvme x2, corsair sf750, nzxt kraken x62 and 4 noctua nf-a14 plus custom cables. still looking for a monitor. im going from 720p to 4k baby! all in a sliger sm580.

im coming from a i5-2400 and a gtx680.

Nice! I similarly went almost all out- got an EVGA 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra, Corsair H100i Platinum SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO nvme, 2TB WD Blue nvme, Corsair SF750, 3700X, and some Pslate custom cables in a white SM580. I'll be staying on my 1440p/Gsync monitor so the 2080Ti should be plenty good for that.

That's going to be a huge upgrade for you coming form an i5 and a 680!

Reactions: Rmorrison

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
Quick question- on the Gigabyte X570-I board, reading through the manual, its says you should use the included thermal pads on the M.2 drive on the back of the board. If you're sticking thermal pads on the M.2 drive shouldn't you be using a heatsink of some kind too? Or is it ok to just have the thermal pads stuck on the M.2 drive just sort of exposed like that?

This will be my first ground up new PC build in almost 10 years so M.2 drives are new to me.

I think someone said that they are for the M.2 to dump heat to the actual case, through the thermal pads, but it depends on the case one would think. On my Evolv Shift the cutout is too big to do such a thing so I will have to run a heatsink after I clearance the case, but that depends on where the M.2 is on the Gigabyte mobo.

You will see that M.2s are SMALL. I was amazed when I built my daughter's computer and it was the first time I used a M.2.

O

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019

Hmm I'd say it makes its presence known if the rest of your computer is fairly quiet, especially when it's doing ~6000rpm. I'd imagine some people would tune it out quickly but it drove me nuts ?.

That said with the latest bios noise became a none issue as you can now set it to silent mode and it won't spin at all unless things are starting to get toasty (around 70C if I recall).

D

Deleted member 13436

Got my X570I Gigabyte board yesterday. No hope for me on the XMP profile, had to put in the frequency, voltage, and timings in manually. Using a Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB x 2 kit at 3200 mhz. After entering manually, finally worked.

Also a weird issue I am having in the BIOS is my keyboard just keeps repeating any keystroke I make, regardless of which port I connect it to. Have no idea why it is doing it, but luckily I can get around most of it with my mouse, just have to keep unplugging/plugging in my keyboard for some entry tasks.
Oh wait, so you got the X570I to fit into your S4 Mini?

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
This was on someone's instagram but has been removed. ???

This would be so cool if it were real.