Log Advice needed: mITX & mATX

jackcalico

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
I am planning on creating a new build and I would love to go sff on this one. I have spent quite a big amount of time and couldn't find any mITX that fulfils my needs, and I would prefer to avoid mATX if I can find a mITX option.

I am looking for the following (must-have):

Option A: mITX
1️⃣ ASUS TUF 3080 should fit horizontally
2️⃣ AIO front or top mounted (if possible 280mm, 240mm at least)
3️⃣ Tempered glass panel or transparent window

Option B: mATX
1️⃣ ASUS TUF 3080 should fit horizontally
2️⃣ 280mm AIO front or top mounted (240mm if not possible)
3️⃣ Tempered glass panel or transparent window

Ideally for both options thermals should be decent (this may probably excludes all sandwich layout cases). And if it turns out that only option B is possible, I would love to have a case as small as possible. Finally, this is not a must but a nice to have, would be nice if the case color is either white or silver.

What do you think about this? Any cases out there that I can check?

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
The Sliger SM580 sounds like it should suit your needs for a mITX build. Also comes in white. Another option might be the Cooler Master NR200P.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

jackcalico

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
The Sliger SM580 sounds like it should suit your needs for a mITX build. Also comes in white. Another option might be the Cooler Master NR200P.

Actually not really, th SM580 is the case that almost fulfils my needs, but it is incompatible with my point 2️⃣ since the GPU can only be mounted vertically.

The NR200P is also incompatible with my 2️⃣ because in order to fit the 3080 card, then you need to mount the AIO on the side and no on top or front positions.

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
Actually not really, th SM580 is the case that almost fulfils my needs, but it is incompatible with my point 2️⃣ since the GPU can only be mounted vertically.

The NR200P is also incompatible with my 2️⃣ because in order to fit the 3080 card, then you need to mount the AIO on the side and no on top or front positions.

My apologies. You are correct. For some reason I thought the SM580 had the option for horizontal mounting.

bibica

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 5, 2019
Option A: DENG W20

Option B: DENG M25 , 280mm AIO with psu sfx

jackcalico

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Option A: DENG W20
Option B: DENG M25 , 280mm AIO with psu sfx

Thank you for your reply. Both links point me to chinese websites (some sort of big retailer site?). Unfortunately I can't read chinese and the browser translator does not translate images so I can't really understand the specs. I would like to study the specs before making any moves. I have searched online for their official website but I can't manage to find it, any idea?

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Thank you for your reply. Both links point me to chinese websites (some sort of big retailer site?). Unfortunately I can't read chinese and the browser translator does not translate images so I can't really understand the specs. I would like to study the specs before making any moves. I have searched online for their official website but I can't manage to find it, any idea?
Taobao is basically the Chinese amazon, for most western countries the way you buy from them is through an agent like Superbuy.

Anyway, here are all the western cases that mostly meet your requirements:
Source

And the Chinese ones:
Source

All the specs are listed, only thing I couldn't filter for are the window and color, but most have those as an option, I'm sure you'll find something.
I only included cases smaller than 20L as well, its the SFF forum after all. If you want me to include bigger ones, let me know

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Taobao is basically the Chinese amazon, for most western countries the way you buy from them is through an agent like Superbuy.

Anyway, here are all the western cases that mostly meet your requirements:
Source

And the Chinese ones:
Source

All the specs are listed, only thing I couldn't filter for are the window and color, but most have those as an option, I'm sure you'll find something.
I only included cases smaller than 20L as well, its the SFF forum after all. If you want me to include bigger ones, let me know
Your Google sheets are locked.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Your Google sheets are locked.
The way I have it set up, it should be viewable and the links usable within the post.

Should look a bit like this:

Just checked logged out on a different ip/system and it still looks right, so I'm not sure what the issue is?

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The way I have it set up, it should be viewable and the links usable within the post.

Should look a bit like this:

Just checked logged out on a different ip/system and it still looks right, so I'm not sure what the issue is?
This is what I see.

jackcalico

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020

Anyway, here are all the western cases that mostly meet your requirements

And the Chinese ones

Thanks for your reply. I guess I am then interested in western cases. So, about the cases you shared:
  • SX3 lm 11L It checks point 1 (300mm long gpu will fit horizontally), but not points 2 (240 or 280 aio mounted front or top) and 3 (tempered glass or transparent acrylic window)
  • NCASE M1 It checks point 1 (barely, since the psu cables will push down the gpu), but not points 2 and 3
  • NR200 It checks point 1, but not points 2 and 3 (the NR200P has TG but only bottom mounted aio)
  • SUGO 14 It checks point 1 and 2 (when flipped with aio on top), but not 3
  • Cerberus It checks points 1 and 3, but not point 2 (only bottom aio mount)
  • QBX It checks point 1, but not 2 (only side mounted aio) and 3
So, back to square one, no mITX SFF western case that checks the 3 points.

bibica

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 5, 2019
you can see more info from caseend, include pictures and some basic information

Reactions: khanate

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
So, back to square one, no mITX SFF western case that checks the 3 points.

Well, the whole point of point of enthousiast-class SFF cases is being able to with or work around some compromises and still build a compact high performance system.

But if you're willing to go a bit bigger, the Razer Tomahawk Mini-ITX fits all your requirements, albeit at 24L.

you can see more info from caseend, include pictures and some basic information
Caseend is basically just a neutered rip-off of the SFF Master List I linked as the source for the spreadsheets I included. It doesn't allow for proper filtering of specs. Enable your adblocker so he doesn't earn any money of work someone else did for him.

Its okay if you just want to look at the pictures, as to be fair, viewing the pictures in the spreadsheet isn't that great, otherwise its really lackluster.

jackcalico

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Well, the whole point of point of enthousiast-class SFF cases is being able to with or work around some compromises and still build a compact high performance system.

But if you're willing to go a bit bigger, the Razer Tomahawk Mini-ITX fits all your requirements, albeit at 24L.

I wanted to check with the community before start compromising my future build. My option B was an NR200 with a 280mm side AIO, but that Razer mITX looks quite promising... if the thermals hold

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I wanted to check with the community before start compromising my future build. My option B was an NR200 with a 280mm side AIO, but that Razer mITX looks quite promising... if the thermals hold
You can't fit proper mATX boards in the NR200. It only fits FlexATX boards (an inbetween size) or other non-standard sized boards. Better to stick to ITX boards as they are, in general, much higher quality than mATX boards (which is currently a place mostly for garbage budget boards).

There's always the Fractal Design Nano S with an SFX PSU, that should accommodate what you're looking for, but it's not <20L.

jackcalico

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
You can't fit proper mATX boards in the NR200. It only fits FlexATX boards (an inbetween size) or other non-standard sized boards. Better to stick to ITX boards as they are, in general, much higher quality than mATX boards (which is currently a place mostly for garbage budget boards).

There's always the Fractal Design Nano S with an SFX PSU, that should accommodate what you're looking for, but it's not <20L.
Actually it doesn't, the Fractal Design Nano S is a 2 PCI slot case, so it will not check point 1 (ASUS TUF 3080 should fit horizontally).

My backup plan with the NR200 is not to fit a mATX there but a mITX (Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming), but good to know that mATX are normally crap boards.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
that Razer mITX looks quite promising... if the thermals hold

Should be decent, ventilation holes could be a bit more open, but I've seen much worse.

Actually it doesn't, the Fractal Design Nano S is a 2 PCI slot case, so it will not check point 1 (ASUS TUF 3080 should fit horizontally).

It actually allows for up to up 2.9 slot cards if you use an SFX PSU, but having owned the case it isn't ideal, especially with your setup.

With your gpu it only leaves 40mm for the rad+fans, that barely fits even with slim fans and a relatively slim rad.