Discussion Advice for buying from Aliexpress in the UK

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I've decided to try a Metalfish T40 build to take to LAN nights.
I need SFX compatibility as I really don't see any affordable quiet Flex ATX units compared to SFX.
I intend pay by PayPal if I can, otherwise a credit card for the additional protection.
Any other advice to avoid problems?
I'll be buying from the Metalfish store on Aliexpress.

For reference I'll be using a Strix X470i / R5 2600x / GTX 1560 Aero ITX with 2x M.2 drives.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
I've decided to try a Metalfish T40 build to take to LAN nights.
I need SFX compatibility as I really don't see any affordable quiet Flex ATX units compared to SFX.
I intend pay by PayPal if I can, otherwise a credit card for the additional protection.
Any other advice to avoid problems?
I'll be buying from the Metalfish store on Aliexpress.

For reference I'll be using a Strix X470i / R5 2600x / GTX 1560 Aero ITX with 2x M.2 drives.

I've spent thousands on Aliexpress. You'll be fine with PayPal.
One other piece of advice, use a trash email account you don't mind being spammed.
Fairly certain either Aliexpress sell on emails or their database is hacked quite regualarly :)
As soon as you register an email there it will start being spammed with the usual rubbish.

Reactions: Arboreal and Phuncz

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks for that advice @Legion, I will check the details before I finalise my order.

The suggestion of using a trash account is welcome, i seem to have enough rubbish coming through as it is!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I noticed Aliexpress will soon have a 'summer' sale, beginning in just about 1 day (ie 24 hours) from now. But I am not sure if this is Aliexpress worldwide (or just limited to China) or if it is for every store within Aliexpress. Check yours and if so, better wait a couple days.

Also, once you log into your Aliexpress account, click on the Account at the upper right hand corner and there is Message (among others) in the drop down menu. From there, you can communicate with the store operator/owner. My practice, especially when I order from a store that I have no experience before, is to form an ongoing dialogue with the owner for a week or so. Ask basic questions like ''Is the T40 in stock?'', ''Is this or that colour available?'', ''Do you accept Paypal?'' etc, basically to confirm availability as well as testing the waters of customer responsive-ness.

Using a trash account is a must. It is not just for Aliexpress but basically for many other online stores.

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thank you for that really useful info, tiny.
Aliexpress is showing a sale starting in 19 hours with 3 GBP extra discount off every 25 GBP spent.

I will create an account later today when I have decided which email address to use, and start messaging the seller.

The seller I'm looking at is allegedly the official Metalfish store, I'll see what they have to say

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Trash account is ready to go and the sale has started. The T40 is down to 30 GBP from 54 GBP.
Do I need to Google translate my messages to the seller?
I can now register with Aliexpress, or is the app better?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Trash account is ready to go and the sale has started. The T40 is down to 30 GBP from 54 GBP.
Do I need to Google translate my messages to the seller?
I can now register with Aliexpress, or is the app better?
As Aliexpress is more geared towards the international market, many sellers can speak English decently. Of course, do not expect perfect English but communication should have no problem.
I understand some say the app is better but I do not know as I have been using the PC route solely, primarily because I much prefer to read from my 27'' monitor (vs small phone screen) as I am 'old school'. I suppose you can try both and then choose. No harm.

Reactions: Arboreal