A Very Good Example of a Not-So SFF Build

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Coming in at a whopping ~37 Liters of case, I present an exercise in futility.

Components:
CPU: Core i5 6400t
GPU: MSI LP 750ti 2GB
RAM: Some generic 12 gigs of DDR4 I got in my HP Pavilion Slimline
Motherboard: Harmar, also from the HP Pavilion Slimline.
Storage: 1TB 7200RPM from I think Seagate.
PSU: EVGA 430 Watt ATX

It actually performs adequately for light 1440p gaming with an OC of +200 on the core and +170 on the memory, and an additional +15mV in Afterburner. That said, 1080p is where this card shines in a lot of games. The 2GB of memory is a huge bottleneck in AAA titles though.

The CPU plows through all of my current needs though, actually consistently turboing all the way up to ~2.4GHZ. I'm not sure that's better than the stock cooling allowed, but It's all much quieter now.

Oh! If you're wondering why I have a riser in there, it's because HP, in their infinite wisdom, put the 24 pin connector right under the PCIE Slot. Can only fit the 750ti without the fan shroud on. Not unworkable but definitely not ideal. Plus, I like this orientation.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
There is a thread for that
Hey now... I guess you aren't wrong. ^.^ I feel like I made good use of available space.
More details on the WB adaptation on the 750 Ti please !
So that's a long story. I wound up with instabilities because my VRMs weren't being cooled, so if I do it again I'm using thermal adhesive and copper strips to make sure I'm getting everything. I looked into making a custom block but never got a quote back. Basically it's the same cheapo CPU block I got on Amazon for my processor, just with a different mounting bracket :)