a custom case

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Very nice work bro, prototype looks really high-quality ;)

Btw, as I read you don't intend to sell these, I have to congratulate your 1-year effort on making a case so similar to Sentry, when you could have just bought that lol.
Not saying this in a bad way, I understand that some people like to make these things by itself (DIY), just for fun. So I get your point and reasons haha.

Cheers

hpse7en

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Very nice work bro, prototype looks really high-quality ;)

Btw, as I read you don't intend to sell these, I have to congratulate your 1-year effort on making a case so similar to Sentry, when you could have just bought that lol.
Not saying this in a bad way, I understand that some people like to make these things by itself (DIY), just for fun. So I get your point and reasons haha.

Cheers

thanks, also expect your kickstar a success!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Nice work :) ALso, moved thread to build logs, as the Custom Cases subforum for designs intended for production.

Reactions: HeroXLazer

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Sweet case. I love this style of manufacturing and case building, using metal extrusions with panels that slide into the slots. The triangular vent holes make it stand out, too.

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
Neat approach to case fabrication, I like it :) Do you plan to manufacture and sell those?

By the way that's a nice example how much bigger Sentry would be if it was frame-based :)

Few other questions that come to my mind:

1) Are those vents laser-cut?

2) Are the panel edges fully extruded or did you need to CNC the sides to fit in those corner profiles?

3) Are those holes for countersunk screw holes chamfered automatically by a machine?

Few notes I have on such design if you plan to make it a commercial product:

1) Use of panels without bending and the way it's assembled means the shipping package could be smaller, but the buyer would need to assemble it from scratch. That means cheaper shipping, but a requirement of quite complex manual or some kind of tutorial. It also means packaging of each piece separately somehow for protection in transport.

2) While the case may be slightly lighter than Sentry, I believe it lacks rigid mounting for pci-e riser, so I wouldn't carry such case in a backpack with a full length open-air GPU inside. That could end up badly for the card. Mobility might not be your target though.

3) There's a lot that can be done with your vertical stand to make it look better since it's a 3d-printed piece. That can be a differentiating factor for the looks in vertical position.

4) Connecting cables to the motherboard might be a little pain since the frame is all around.

5) Power connector location is really risky - this is literally the hottest spot in Sentry. Routing the cable at the back of the GPU is additional risk. You are risking isolation melting, smelling "burnt cables" and in extreme situations plastic dripping into the GPU. You might assume that it'll be okay, but people will put 1080TI and Vega 64 inside :p

Last edited:

hpse7en

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Neat approach to case fabrication, I like it :) Do you plan to manufacture and sell those?

By the way that's a nice example how much bigger Sentry would be if it was frame-based :)

Few other questions that come to my mind:

2) Are the panel edges fully extruded or did you need to CNC the sides to fit in those corner profiles?

3) Are those holes for countersunk screw holes chamfered automatically by a machine?

Few notes I have on such design if you plan to make it a commercial product:

1) Use of panels without bending and the way it's assembled means the shipping package could be smaller, but the buyer would need to assemble it from scratch. That means cheaper shipping, but a requirement of quite complex manual or some kind of tutorial. It also means packaging of each piece separately somehow for protection in transport.

2) While the case may be slightly lighter than Sentry, I believe it lacks rigid mounting for pci-e riser, so I wouldn't carry such case in a backpack with a full length open-air GPU inside. That could end up badly for the card. Mobility might not be your target though.

3) There's a lot that can be done with your vertical stand to make it look better since it's a 3d-printed piece. That can be a differentiating factor for the looks in vertical position.

4) Connecting cables to the motherboard might be a little pain since the frame is all around.

5) Power connector location is really risky - this is literally the hottest spot in Sentry. Routing the cable at the back of the GPU is additional risk. You are risking isolation melting, smelling "burnt cables" and in extreme situations plastic dripping into the GPU. You might assume that it'll be okay, but people will put 1080TI and Vega 64 inside :p

I likes your case very much, and it's an honor to receive your professional comments.

for questions:
-- Vents are cut on a CNC machine: boring, milling...

-- panel edges are milled by 1.2mm (the gap of corner profiles is 2mm)
enlarged pictures:

-- for the frames, i think so. for corner profiles, maybe by table drills.

Last edited: