$700 budget, Gaming and Content Creation

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey y'all! So long story short I enjoy 3D modelling in Blender and making games in Unity. I was going to get a 1080ti for those Cuda cores, but I realized for the same price or less I could heavily upgrade my entire system.

For example, I could get this monitor and a 1050ti for roughly the same price. But what do you guys think I could get for my money (USD) to fulfill the mission of both playing games and making them?

-EDIT-

Current rig

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Monitor is overkill and will barely be driven by the 1050ti. You should get at least a 1060/580 and a good IPS monitor with an adjustable stand.

For that budget I'd get dual 1080p Dell ultra sharp and an AMD GPU. Dual monitors really help with productivity.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah it was just an example. All my friends shot that monitor down ^.^ lol

For a monitor it's hard to find IPS (Color Accuracy) and G-Synch at a price point that allows a gpu upgrade also. Perhaps I can split that into 2 purchases and a vesa stand.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I have been using three of this $200 monoprice monitor. It's listed as a 1080p monitor, but my GTX 980 and 1070 have both been able to overdrive it to 1440p and I think it even still goes to 144hz. It doesn't have Freesync or G-Sync, which is a bummer, but at $200 for a 24" monitor it's hard to complain. I bought them about two years ago now, I've been using them for at least one whole year now. I think there's one dead pixel on each of them, and one of them arrived with a loose DC power in port. My coworker and I opened it up and soldered it on (it either broke off or was never soldered in the first place...), and it works fine. The buttons on the panel are loose because we did a bad job closing the monitor up, but it works fine. I realize it's not in stock, but I believe I've seen it in stock not too long ago when I checked... though, like I said, I did order mine years ago.

I will say that no distribution of windows really scales super well into 1440p on a 24" monitor. 4K scales well because 2:1 scaling is tidy.

I agree that multiple monitors are super helpful for productivity, two should be enough for most people. I seldom do enough stuff to warrant three monitors but it does allow me to be lazier with my management of multitasking. I can leave a document open on one monitor and come back to it later, have media/video on one monitor, and my task-at-hand on my center monitor. I'll often relegate a project to one monitor, where I have a word processor/spreadsheet on one half of a monitor and a reference on the other half, and I periodically work on there while I have my 'leisure' (music/games/etc) stuff taking up my other two monitors.

Any GPU should realistically be able to drive two or three (or more) monitors, provided it has enough inputs or you're able to daisy-chain DisplayPort--which is usually a 'premium' or 'industrial' feature. That said, you won't be spanning games across multiple monitors unless you're going well above-and-beyond a game's expected requirements. For kicks I tried playing GTAV on three monitors with my 980 and I was surprised that it was playable, but the hassle of using windows on a 'super-ultrawide' "single monitor" versus having my three separate monitors for productivity wasn't worth it. If it was more convenient to switch back-and-forth I might have considered it.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Oh yeah, I hadn't considered those from monoprice. They seem nice enough. I'm not particularly concerned with higher resolutions because scaling in Windows can be pretty bad sometimes. I also wasn't planning on spreading a game across multiple monitors, especially not if they're different sizes/types/brands :p I do have a 1080p TN panel at 67hz I can use for additional productivity after the upgrade.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
No worries :)

-Edit-

Went ahead and ordered the Asus PB258Q. I was going to go with the 1080p ultrawide they had, but this seemed like the better value.

Still deciding on a graphics card however.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Torn between this one and this one because of the lower price point (at the moment anyway, it's been jumpy lately). Though I could go reference and avoid having to make my own water block...

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thanks! :) should be here on Wednesday. I'm excited. I've been looking at the Nvidia site lately and I like the free game promotion, but it feels a bit like the additional value is lost in tax. I'll have to think about it some more.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
The monitor is in! Woohoo. Think I'll be getting an EVGA card so I can step up later if i so desire. That narrows my options a bit and means I can't fit in most the cases around here, but I'm planning my own ~7 liter case so that's fine.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So far yes, though I need to reconfigure my desk setup a bit :)