CPU 6 cores too much? Or just enough

RumRogerz

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I've read through countless articles and have watched dozens of youtube's of people's opinions on gaming performance on a 4 core or 6 core machine. I've seen the comparisons, I know that with a capable cpu, a 4 core would do just fine with games.

I'm trying to think ahead though. 6 core variants are beginning to pop now, and they are becoming more affordable. Shifting forward lets say, 4 or 5 years, will we see more and more games benefit from 6 cores?

The system I am currently gathering parts for is strictly for games. There is nothing else I will be doing or running on that computer except games and windows. It will sit in the living room and look pretty. I will bring it to my G's apartment and use it while she is at work and I have nothing else to do but slay monsters or act like a superhero. I have a larger rig that handles all my intensive work (vm's, network simulations, transcoding and such).

I want this thing future proofed to the point where I only really need to consider upgrading the gpu after a period of like, 3 or 4 years. I don't want to be in a situation where I will need to say 'oh shit, looks like I need a new cpu, motherboard and ram now too'. I'm leaning more towards 6 cores, because I can see the benefit in the long run, but I could be very, very wrong. If 6 cores is total overkill for the foreseeable future of games, I would rather save a few $ and go with the 8th gen i3's.

So what say y'all? Am I going to waste my money buying a 6 core or do you think it would eventually pay off to have it sitting in my rig?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Totally agree. If you have the budget and it sounds like you are looking for a fire and forget box. i5 8400 or the k model if you want to pay a bit more and have the OC option. Gpu is the easiest upgrade and a modern 6 core will push a gpu upgrade down the road and extend the life of your gaming build.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think the thing people here need to remember is that the 8700K is really not an SFF friendly CPU under most circumstances. Just because Intel rates it as a 95W part, in a lot of cases it consumes well over this. This is especially the case if you're running Multi-core enhancement (MCE). As an example, take a look at system consumption levels in this article:

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/intel_coffee_lake_i7_8700k_review/18

I would actually go so far as to say that a lot of the brickless S4M builds that keep resetting on people are probably doing so because they are running 8700K chips.

RumRogerz

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I'm not even looking at the K series of chips. I have no intention of getting into the OC stuff; I'd rather just work with factory standards. That being said, and as everyone has mentioned, looks like the 8400 is a sure bet.
Now, just gotta wait for them H and B motherboard models to start trickling in.
Thank to everyone for the help. I just saved a boatload of time

Reactions: TheHig and Kmpkt

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
You could have a 6-core (or more) Ryzen today. Ryzen has the advantage of better long-term upgradeability due to the AM4 socket being supported longer term.