Log 1st ever build - Hydra ITX

Noblestone

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Jun 5, 2023
Greetings all,

My first ever PC Build.

The brief was a compact, quiet and energy efficient PC.

Case : Hydra ITX

CPU : Ryzen 5600

Cooler : Noctua NH-L9a

PSU : Be Quiet 500w SFX-L

GPU : rx 7600 Hellhound

Riser : Coolermaster 300mm

MB : Gigabyte a520i ac itx

Ram : G Skill Trident Z Royal 3000mhz 2x 8gb

SSD : Crucial P3 512gb

Monitor : UPerfect 17.3 1440p 60hz Portable Monitor

Build Review – A long time in the planning but still nervous. All went seemingly to plan, main issue was how stiff the riser and power cables were but once you understand you can ‘brute force’ them that went fine. It wouldn’t boot at first, I didn’t realise the CPU needed its own power supply thinking the main motherboard cable provided all the power, had a couple of anxious hours until the penny dropped. Rookie error.

Case Review – Happy with the front view, I’ll tidy up the power cables a bit. However, this case can’t really support a heavy GPU, I thought I was keeping to a small footprint at 22cm length GPU but it is only supported one end, and with the riser sat behind it, it sags and hangs out a bit. Would be great as an APU case or with an ITX GPU.

I’ll keep an eye out for an alternative case long term.

Was concerned about the Noctua NH-L9a being so small, but in an open case with a 65 watt CPU it has no issues and is quiet. The GPU, PSU are also very quiet.

I will still go and adjust the fan profile and undervolt the CPU/GPU a little.

Appreciate any feedback, not the slickest build so would appreciate any tips, especially if I can get that GPU fitted a bit better!