Recent content by Shatrod

  1. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    I hear you, but its also more flexible this way. Afterall not all cards even require a power connector.
  2. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    Design updates: 1) gpu moutning, optimized away a flange and made the whole thing a bit smaller. Lost a mounting location but thats ok. 2) tweaked it so all exterior dimensions are whole mm increments. The GPU bracket is 56mm x 120mm and the motherboard tray is 56mm x 179mm. Most importantly...
  3. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    Finally got around to updating the OP. I did all my testing and some photography, and sent a few prototypes to some friends to play around with and gather feedback. Everything seems to fit, although mounting the GPU is difficult. The mounting flange gets in the way of the screwdriver so...
  4. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    The first prototypes are here! I'm going to do some rest fitting and photography and then post better pics as well as update the first post.
  5. Shatrod

    Prototype SKARVOR Frame0: An Open-Air SFF Chassis

    That's a solid plan. I regret not doing crowdfunding myself, I just decided to go for it with 100 units lol. Best of luck! Let us know when the crowdfunding is live
  6. Shatrod

    Prototype SKARVOR Frame0: An Open-Air SFF Chassis

    Very cool. How many units are you hoping to start with? Or just made to order?
  7. Shatrod

    Prototype SKARVOR Frame0: An Open-Air SFF Chassis

    The legal stuff is such a pain. Do you have a CNC or are you hand making the wood?
  8. Shatrod

    Prototype SKARVOR Frame0: An Open-Air SFF Chassis

    I love the wood accents! Excellent work
  9. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    If I understand correctly, it is specifically because they're hand inserted by someone. It's not the hardware cost, it's the labor cost
  10. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    None of the manufacturers have any cocerns about the joggle. I got feedback, it is in fact the pem nuts and standoffs that are cost drivers for this. I can save a lot by omitting the pem nuts (i understand the standoffs are mandatory). How important would you say is the ability to bolt to this...
  11. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    That's a joggle. I didn't think joggles are hard, I figured a hem is harder. I don't think I'm gona be doing enough volume to do stamping, I don't have that kind of cash. So laser and bending most likely. But I leave that up to the fab
  12. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    You'd be surprised how significantly part count impacts final cost. Unless the bracket is off the shelf it's an enormous cost driver in low volumes. In fact that little pinch plate for the GPU that's part of the GPU bracket but is a separate piece is like 20% of the total cost. I'm still...
  13. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    It's 1.22mm cold rolled steel. (0.048" 18 gauge). I initially had a version that bolts together as well but that made it notoriously difficult to support all 3 configurations while actually being rigid. I think all that rigidity will come from the substrate it's bolted to. Won't know until I...
  14. Shatrod

    Prototype A DIY kit - making custom cases easier and more approachable

    You're right. Even if the flush screw doesn't sit completely flush (not enough sheet metal thickness for that) its still lower to give more clearance. And the M3 screw head should clear the hem. Thanks for the suggestion, I have made the change: