Recent content by Brian McGuigan

  1. Brian McGuigan

    Log Workstation-Server in a Briefcase

    OH, OK. My original training is as a Mechanical Engineer, so thanks. I have however been involved with Computers since 1966.
  2. Brian McGuigan

    Log Workstation-Server in a Briefcase

    If you read my write-up, you'll find why I rejected the idea of a mTAX motherboard. Basically I just don't need it.
  3. Brian McGuigan

    Log Workstation-Server in a Briefcase

    I'm sorry. I just don't see the connection.
  4. Brian McGuigan

    Log Workstation-Server in a Briefcase

    Background To understand this PC Build, you probably have to know a bit more about me, to figure out how I arrived at my requirements. Firstly, I am 80. I started my career in computing in 1966, having left university with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Back then, Computer Science was not...
  5. Brian McGuigan

    Log DIY Sub 4 Litre Case for Micro Workstation

    Design now finished. Parts for DIY Case have arrived. Build begins after Xmas. CPU and GPU to be selected after CES in January. Size has increased to 5L, but features 4 x 2.5" hot swappable Drive Bays, up to three M.2 Slots, an optional, totally external GPU of unlimited size and power...
  6. Brian McGuigan

    Log Help Please Finding the Best Cooler: Fractal Terra, 4090, 9800X3D

    Personally, I've gone for the Thermaright AXP90-X53 Full Copper. Is not quite as low-profile as the X47, but should have superior cooling capacity - up to 155W TDP, I believe. I had not thought of changing the fan, as I like the colour fan it comes with. If you can find a way of NOT importing...
  7. Brian McGuigan

    CPU Multiple PCIe Riser Cards in Series

    I don't actually think it needs bifurcation. THat's needed if you want to split the lanes between cards. In my idea all lanes go through both cards, in series. So bifurcation will not be needed. The only issue is signal degradation going through two extra lots of cables. I've sounded out my...
  8. Brian McGuigan

    CPU Multiple PCIe Riser Cards in Series

    Has anyone tried it? Did it work? I am about to build my first SFF Case, for an 'Air-Cooled, Micro Workstation-Server', that I want to fit in my briefcase. Because of height restrictions, there is no space in the case for a full-sized GPU. But there is space in the case for a DIY eGPU...
  9. Brian McGuigan

    Log Portable workstation

    I found I could not find a case that I was interrested in, as I wanted a portable Workstation-Server, with hot-swappable external drives, that I could carry in my briefcase. So I have designed my own. I will be posting details shortly. It is less than 5 litres in size, consists of an ITX...
  10. Brian McGuigan

    Log DIY Sub 4 Litre Case for Micro Workstation

    Couldn't fix 7" in. But 5" works just fine.
  11. Brian McGuigan

    Log DIY Sub 4 Litre Case for Micro Workstation

    I am contemplating building an extremely compact DIY Case for a Micro Workstation that will fit in my briefcase. It is efectively a Notebook substitute, with as much power as I can pack into as small a space as possible. I have had Notebooks for over 30 years, and never used them without...
  12. Brian McGuigan

    Advice ~~HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX~~ J-Hack users: How is it running for you?

    I understand from HDPLEX, themselves, that the HDPLEX 400W is now obsolete. I was considering using one in a build myself. I am now thinking of using two HDPLEX 250W GaN Passive AIO ATX Power Supplies instead. These are 94% efficient, totally fanless, silent and occupy less space than the...
  13. Brian McGuigan

    Log Briefcase Sized MICRO Workstation/Server

    That looks good. I'm planning mine fo 2024 - for when Ryzen 5 comes out. Given the heat and power draw of a 7950, I'm making provision for a CPU Water Cooling Loop. SInce my original posting I've realised that an AIO, won't cut it. Their Tubes are just too long. If I need to shorten them...
  14. Brian McGuigan

    Log Briefcase Sized MICRO Workstation/Server

    Thanks for that. I didn't know such cases existed. I've had a look, but it's far too large for my purposes - but thanks, anyway.
  15. Brian McGuigan

    Log Briefcase Sized MICRO Workstation/Server

    Hi Everyone, I have in mind to build my own mITX case that would fit in a briefcase as a laptop - using the Thermaltake P3 as inspiration. The Need Well my Laptop just fell over, so I need to replace it. It was 14 years old, so didn't owe me much! I've had laptops ever since they first came...