Discussion Actual liquid terra!

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
SG Custom did another thing - something I've been briefly contemplating as a fall-back option, if the "Path Of The S300" didnt work out, in exactly the same train of though: Doing a liquid cooling mod with the Fractal Design Terra, going the BOTTOM route!

Ie. bottom mounted radiator, which in my case would have been in the Silverstone Vida 240, but in this case is a custom loop with a bottom extender, to make everything fit well together:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I saw that. They did a good job but I wasn't thrilled with the shade of silver they used and would have loved to see them retain a wood front panel.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
All of this just to create a CPU-only loop? I've never understood it.
My guess would be its a client build. Also I wonder, how much one would be able to get out of a single 240 rad. Heavy UV and PL-ing maybe?

Lets think that through for once: A full loop would only make sense with at least 2 x 240, better 240 + 280 radiators.

Bottom radiator: A thin 240 radiator without adding another 2 - 3 cm to the bottom might be doable, but only with a lot of effort.
Side radiator: Thin 280 radiator + the GPU, but one might run into issues with the fans. Max width acc. to the spec sheet is 72 mm, but the block height would have to be below 131 mm - else its only 62 mm.

I did research about a custom loop with a thin 280 radiator for my own builds, so the thinnest you can go would be 20 mm (Alphacool NexXxoS ST20 HPE), and if you go for thin fans, to me only the new Silverstone Air Slimmer 140 make sense right now, ie. 15.6 mm depth.

So its 20 + 15.6 / 20 + 16 mm = 36 at max (thin + thin),
or 20 + 25 / 27 mm = 47 mm at max (thin + regular).

Of corpse you have to be able to buy such a thin radiator, too. If not, its 27 + 27 = 54 mm at max = fail. Probably wont work, expect when using slim 140 fans again. Next the fun starts with the air flow noise issues of the side panels. One probably would have to either replace them or add an extender.

So ultimate build? No.

First actual "no cheat" loop? Yes.