Discussion S400 + clones

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Thought I might start a FAQ / KB thread while I'm rebuilding my Streaming System in the Shiny Snake / Miningeek Neo S400.
Already created a short wiki page in my personal wiki :)

Wiki page: https://wiki.wp-devil.com/rtfm/sffpc/shiny-snake-s400

Known versions:
V1 - apparently a 9.9L version - 320 x 220 x 140 mm (L x H x W)
V2 - the current 10.8L version found on Amazon - 340 x 205 x 155 mm (L x H x W)

Further information:
Builds / Reviews:

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
What I also can report now: The <= 67 mm for CPU cooler including fan is the ABSOLUTE maximum. I put in the Silverstone Air Slimmer, which is 15.6 mm, on top of the Thermalright AXP120-x67, and its sitting next to flush with the side panel. Its not bulging yet, but just one mm more, and it would become an issue.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Beware when reinstalling the side panels: Only and always use flat headed screws for anything thats attached to the frame. Else you wont be able to properly close the panel.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Building notice: If your mainboard has its fan connectors located at the top of the mainboard, you should add extension cables into all of them, because with the rotated mounting position, the connectors are now positioned at the bottom of the case, nearly unreachable.

Sure, if you're really good with a pair of tweezers, you MIGHT be able to overcome this, but for us mere mortals, its a guarantee for a few chipped fingernails, and bruised finger joints (or worse).

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
BEWARE: The Miningeek MiniNeo S400 black variant I received this month, ie. late January 2024, is of EXTREMLY shoddy build quality. The steel is .. of a very bad quality. I just did some rearrangements with moving the mainboard tray etc, and when I accidently got stuck with the hooks of the SAMA IM01 SFX PSU tray, I bent the lower front leg of the mainboard tray rather easily.

Oh, and when trying to remove the back bracket, I slightly bent it. I've used neodym magnets to keep it attached to the case .. thought it was because of that, but .... NO.

Its crappy "steel" - if it is even steel, maybe cast iron? - when I removed the plate, I could bend it by hand, and I'm not particularly strong, at least not with my hands. Its not soft like chewing gum, but certainly not as solid as the version I received in October 2023. Maybe like some very strong rubber? Even the classic "wobbly" thin steel of your run of the mill PC case side panel is much less prone to bending than this stuff.

Already measured the thickness of the metal before (its certainly made from iron, magnets like it a lot), this is much thinner material - 1,79 vs. 2.3 mm, and it some parts even 1.6 vs. 2.4 mm.

Edit: Oh, and the material used for the SAMA IM01 clone, ie. the Inter-Tech Pocket IM-1, even for the PSU SFX bracket, is to some extends thinner, but much better quality. I certainly need pliers to strongly bend it, and when I was having the .. incident .. with the PSU bracket hooks described above, the hook was only slightly bent, while the lower tray leg was at least at a 20° angle. Ugh!

Thought I gonna keep it, just for testing out things, but maybe now I gonna put it back together and return it.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Build in the S450 by ander:

Apparently the case reuses the fan mounting bracket as radiator bracket. Setup is basically the same as I use in my S300 mod, but the PSU extension position is not as good, obviously. This looks like 1:1 reuse of the original S400 layout, and then just enlarging the top. So the PSU extension stays on the same position underneath the top.

One advantage might be, that at least in theory, it shouldnt get as toasty as before in the original S400. At the same time its a disadvantage, because you wont be able to install a 280 mm radiator (which would fit).

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Interesting case mod seen on the S300: Cutting out an opening above the CPU section to allow for bigger fans or a larger CPU cooler.
Could be an option for the S400, too, because the 67 mm is the absolute maximum height for CPU cooler including, there is literally no room left. Would probably improve noise levels as well.

cu, w0lf.
Rereading this in retrospect: Well, I went down a different path 😅 🤣 🥳

cu, w0lf.