SFF.Network Xiaomi Launches a Non-GAM3R Gaming Laptop

Xiaomi, a brand better known for their Mi brand smartphones and powerbanks, has launched their first gaming laptop, the Mi Gaming Laptop. The laptop was launched at the Mi Mix 2s launch event in Shanghai, China yesterday. What's remarkable about this gaming laptop is the lack of aggressive, "gamer" aesthetics - with the RGB turned off (as it should be!), the Mi Gaming Laptop could look at home in a business meeting one minute, and a gaming event the next.

Read more here.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
yeah, the choice to go 200 rather than 300 chipset for a new product launch confused me. I guess they needed a lot of time to validate the hardware, being their first gaming laptop launch

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
As the owner of a Mi Book Pro 15.6 (3m old) and Mi Book Air 12.5 (1y 3m old), I can say they're definitely high quality products. I notice some minor quirks with them but they're no worse than Dell or HP are, and the build quality is better.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
Definitely good to see more "gaming" laptops with toned down aesthetics. No red dragon logos and boyracer air scoops, lights and bells and whistles. I think the adult gamer / IT person is a forgotten customer in the gaming genre. I'd be willign to pay good dollar for a Thinkpad series machine or a Macbook with a decent GPU and good build quality.

I've had 2 DTR laptops with desktops parts in them and a 2017 Razer blade 14 with a 1060 in it. They are nice but can't beat the comfort of a desktop setup, thats why I switched back to mini-itx. Definety a laptop fanboy tho :thumb:

Reactions: SeñorDonut

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Xiaomi is going good really. I was really really sick of all those exaggerated leds and colorings. This one looks neat.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Definitely good to see more "gaming" laptops with toned down aesthetics. No red dragon logos and boyracer air scoops, lights and bells and whistles. I think the adult gamer / IT person is a forgotten customer in the gaming genre. I'd be willign to pay good dollar for a Thinkpad series machine or a Macbook with a decent GPU and good build quality.

I've had 2 DTR laptops with desktops parts in them and a 2017 Razer blade 14 with a 1060 in it. They are nice but can't beat the comfort of a desktop setup, thats why I switched back to mini-itx. Definety a laptop fanboy tho :thumb:

A few years ago in college I managed to get a thinkpad with nvidia graphics (I think it was a t430u with i7 and gtx 950m?). It wasn't amazing, but it was enough for esports games, skyrim, and occasional dolphin wii emulation. I loved that laptop, unfortunately I dropped it and broke the screen and hinge...

I found out they don't normally sell thinkpads with dgpu in the states because most of their sales here are to companies who also by the docks, and dgpu models aren't compatible with the docks. So to prevent confusion, they just don't sell them.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
A few years ago in college I managed to get a thinkpad with nvidia graphics (I think it was a t430u with i7 and gtx 950m?). It wasn't amazing, but it was enough for esports games, skyrim, and occasional dolphin wii emulation. I loved that laptop, unfortunately I dropped it and broke the screen and hinge...

I found out they don't normally sell thinkpads with dgpu in the states because most of their sales here are to companies who also by the docks, and dgpu models aren't compatible with the docks. So to prevent confusion, they just don't sell them.

Years ago, I bought a thinkpad with dgpu from lenovo as a custom order.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
Love what they're doing in the laptop space, I've taken serious looks at their previous models. As pointed out already though that hinge is just tacky and makes me worry about its longevity. Getting away from the G4M3R aesthetic is a huge step in the right direction though.

Last edited:

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
I've seen the cooling and it looks potent. Two Heatsinks for GPU and CPU while the GPU has 3 heatpipes. On paper/picture, it looks strong for the chosen hardware.

What's a bit bother is the lack of TB3 for eGPU and the Zone RGB keyboard. I'd be cool to have individual RGB keys. Ignoring those two things, this Laptop looks really nice, like a Razer, but with real cooling.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
That type of hinges allows for a thinner thickness. The product webpage says it is of stainless steel.
I think, HP came up with this Piston Hinge design for their line of Spectre notebook (ultra thin) a couple of years ago.
Watch this video (beginning at 0:55) for a rough idea.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
That looks great. Would love one of these. I don't care for the RGB keyboard, but my old laptop didn't have back lit keys, and it really bothered me. I also expect them to be available with 8th/current gen CPUs when they get released.

jaxter

Chassis Packer
Mar 20, 2018
i like Xiaomi as a company a hassle to get there products in the U.K despite this i own a wifi rgb led light bulb. 2 wifi led strips, a Xiaomi mobile phone and a xiaomi fitness band.
Never had any problems related to build quality pretty solid products all.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Out of my budget for now but I'd consider a Mi for a future general purpose and light gaming laptop. The screen looks very nice. It should be more reliable than my current Acer which is still doing fine for the most part.

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
We've owned tonnes of Xiaomi stuff over the years - well at least 10 phones I think amongst family members and also a power bank. I use the Mi A1 now and it's great. They make good stuff really!

Reactions: confusis