Other Wifi and Bluetooth Antennas - Internal Routing Options

Howdy

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
Hey All,

Ever since buying a modern desktop PC a thorn in my side has been... Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity. Two things I considered givens while working on a Mac but have always had problems with on a PC. While a great deal of this has to be software related it seems at least part of the problem has to do with the inelegant antenna solutions provided with motherboards. There's a ton of extra bulk and visual clutter added by these devices that don't provide better connectivity then solutions integrated into the body of phones or tablets.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew of:

1. External antenna solutions that work (providing greater performance then say my tablet or phone)

2. External antenna solutions that are both effective and compact

3. Internal antenna solutions that are effective and can be routed inside the case increasing portability and aesthetic value.

I'll have a Ghost S1 soon for my current build and would love to know if anyone has had any experience with routing antenna inside of a case. Would hate to clutter things up with a stupid block of plastic that doesn't work. I have no knowledge of the underlying physics governing waves and signal reception/transmission so maybe antennas inside a case is a super dumb idea.

I type this from a USB keyboard because I cannot for the life of me get my Bluetooth keyboard to reconnect....

Thanks for your thoughts!

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015

1. External antenna solutions that work (providing greater performance then say my tablet or phone)

3. Internal antenna solutions that are effective and can be routed inside the case increasing portability and aesthetic value.

I'll bite on #2: USB dongle.
And #3: USB dongle plugged into the header on the motherboard.
As for #1, I don't know what phone or tablet you're using as the benchmark.

Howdy

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
I'll bite on #2: USB dongle.
And #3: USB dongle plugged into the header on the motherboard.
As for #1, I don't know what phone or tablet you're using as the benchmark.

Thanks for the reply. I really like the idea of using USB dongles inside the case. I'll have to try that out and see how it works!

My tablet (Galaxy Boox 12") always has good WiFi reception throughout my house. Same with every phone I've owned. I can have it right next to my PC and be taking full advantage of my 100mbps connect while my Desktop gets 2-6mbps and drops out all the time.

I've currently landed on the solution using dongles for WiFi and Bluetooth just outside of the case and that's remedied the issues. Just don't understand why I've always had such trouble with on motherboard Wifi and Bluetooth..

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Hey All,

Ever since buying a modern desktop PC a thorn in my side has been... Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity. Two things I considered givens while working on a Mac but have always had problems with on a PC. While a great deal of this has to be software related it seems at least part of the problem has to do with the inelegant antenna solutions provided with motherboards. There's a ton of extra bulk and visual clutter added by these devices that don't provide better connectivity then solutions integrated into the body of phones or tablets.

I'll have a Ghost S1 soon for my current build and would love to know if anyone has had any experience with routing antenna inside of a case. Would hate to clutter things up with a stupid block of plastic that doesn't work. I have no knowledge of the underlying physics governing waves and signal reception/transmission so maybe antennas inside a case is a super dumb idea.

I type this from a USB keyboard because I cannot for the life of me get my Bluetooth keyboard to reconnect....

Thanks for your thoughts!
I read you on that @Howdy . Personally, I would look at a Small Top Hat + a plastic or acrylic cover + internal antennas from a laptop or wireless router. By using those and changing a few things on your motherboard, you could pull it off. I plan on testing internal antennas with my build, Full Circle, once I get the motherboard for it next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Howdy

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 30, 2018
@Soul_Est that sounds like a super solid solution! I've been looking around on youtube and it seems building a WIFI antenna of your own out of some copper wiring is fairly easy to do if you know exactly how to do it.

I imagine what you are describing would mean swapping out the WIFI card on the board itself for a card meant for a laptop? Have you done any research into which WIFI card you will be using?

Where are you looking at getting an acrylic cover from? I guess I could just have one 3D printed from somewhere like shapeways with the models louque provided.

Thanks a ton for your response and looking forward to following your build!

Reactions: Soul_Est

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I imagine what you are describing would mean swapping out the WIFI card on the board itself for a card meant for a laptop?
If you've ever dissassembled a laptop before, its wifi card is the same form factor as on current desktop motherboards (i.e. m2), but the antenna is usually routed around the laptop's lid to a plastic 'opening' (which is painted metallic so it blends with the rest of the lid) which then plugs straight to the card with this tiny connectors.

Found this on google search:

I haven't really looked at my mobo's wifi card to see how they connect it to the rear i/o with RP-SMA connector (that big one in the image) but if you can find it, measure and determine which plug is it, ordering a suitable spare antenna assembly from ebay should be easy. Or grab one from a broken laptop somewhere.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
@Soul_Est that sounds like a super solid solution! I've been looking around on youtube and it seems building a WIFI antenna of your own out of some copper wiring is fairly easy to do if you know exactly how to do it.

I imagine what you are describing would mean swapping out the WIFI card on the board itself for a card meant for a laptop? Have you done any research into which WIFI card you will be using?

Where are you looking at getting an acrylic cover from? I guess I could just have one 3D printed from somewhere like shapeways with the models louque provided.

Thanks a ton for your response and looking forward to following your build!
It's just like @Choidebu described below.

The wifi card is an Intel 9260 in the M.2 for factor. I will just swap the card on the motherboard with it while testing that idea with some spare antennas I have.
I won't be getting the acrylic cover. I don't actually own a Louqe Ghost S1. I meant that if I were in your position, I would have tried the idea I suggested earlier.

If you've ever dissassembled a laptop before, its wifi card is the same form factor as on current desktop motherboards (i.e. m2), but the antenna is usually routed around the laptop's lid to a plastic 'opening' (which is painted metallic so it blends with the rest of the lid) which then plugs straight to the card with this tiny connectors.

Found this on google search:

I haven't really looked at my mobo's wifi card to see how they connect it to the rear i/o with RP-SMA connector (that big one in the image) but if you can find it, measure and determine which plug is it, ordering a suitable spare antenna assembly from ebay should be easy. Or grab one from a broken laptop somewhere.
Thank you! That is exactly what I meant.

Bangle

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 12, 2018
I read you on that @Howdy . Personally, I would look at a Small Top Hat + a plastic or acrylic cover + internal antennas from a laptop or wireless router. By using those and changing a few things on your motherboard, you could pull it off. I plan on testing internal antennas with my build, Full Circle, once I get the motherboard for it next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Try these short external antennas. For me they work better that the crap provided with my ASUS MB. I'm waiting for my Louqe case and these are going on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076QBN9MJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bangle

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 12, 2018
Try these short external antennas. For me they work better that the crap provided with my ASUS MB. I'm waiting for my Louqe case and these are going on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076QBN9MJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also work fines with my Bluetooth keyboard and Xbox controller. Although have 3 devices (bose soundlink) via BT doesn't really work, so i have to use the soundlink with a 3.5mm jack cable. Wifi is also Ok, but my router is miles away from my PC, so I just use a wired connection. BT mainly for keyboard and controller.