Log Which M.2 Slot for 'C' Drive?

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Just completed an itx build and my question is which of the two M.2 slots on my ASUS Z690i board would I utilize for my 1TB NVME for my "C" Drive/OS installation? Want to plug it into the correct slot. On this board they are stacked one on top of the other. I assume it would be the one that plugs directly into the motherboard itself & not the top one that connects with a ribbon cable. I do plan to add another 2TB NVME for storage but not at this time. Just second guessing myself & the manual is confusing to me. Here's what the manual says:

Intel 12th Gen Processors:
M.2_1 supports PCIE 4.0x4 mode M Key design and type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices (This one plugs directly into board)

Intel Z690 Chipset:
M.2_2 supports PCIE 4.0x4 and SATA modes M Key design and type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices (This one stacked on top of the other & connects to the board via ribbon cable)

Thanks for reading, need some direction before installing Windows 11.

Jp42nca

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
Looking at the manual, it appears both M.2 slots support both NVME and SATA, so either would be fine.
Thanks for responding, I thought as much but want to make sure. Did a build a number of years back with a ASUS Z390-A & was told by ASUS (back then you could call an actually speak with a technical person, miss those days), that the slot made a difference & directed me towards the one closest to the CPU, slot 2 was for the extra storage drive. What made me question was in the manual M.2_1 does not mention SATA & M.2_2 does mention SATA.