Part Using drone antennas as wifi antennas

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Does anyone know if drone antennas would work as wifi antennas?

For background, I'm looking at alternative one for my Asus X570-I which comes with a large antenna on a stand. I would rather replace it with a small but high performing antenna that would take up less room. Drone antennas seem to fit the bill.

Here is the one I am currently looking at. My motherboard uses RP-SMA connectors, and this is the only one so far that would be physically compatible. Not sure about the specs though.

- Polarisation: LHCP
- Gain: 1.9dbic
- Cross-Polar Rejection: -15 to -30dB (1.9%)
- Bandwidth: 5.6GHz-6.0GHz
- Radiation Efficiency: 99%
- SWR: <=1.5:1
- Connector: RP-SMA
- Size: 12.7mm x 20mm
- Weight: 3.7 g

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
I've seen some builds on the sffpc subreddit using small drone antennas. I'm not sure about that one specifically, but as far as the general idea you should be fine

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Cheers. This one seems quite popular on the reddit.

I've used the 90 degree version of the one in your Amazon link, it worked great for wifi, bluetooth not so much as the range didn't cut it due to low gain for streaming music. I ended up going back to a longer antenna with 5dbi gain

scope

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2019
You need a 2.4GHz antenna. Dual 2.4GHz + 5 GHz would be cool but I haven't seen one yet as a 'stubby' antenna.

I think RP-SMA female is the standard connector for mainboards. So you need to look for RP-SMA male for the antenna.

You could check out Microchip RN-SMA-S-RP http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Acc-RN-SMA-S-RP-DS.pdf

I'm about to do a build with Taoglas WCM.01.0151W https://www.taoglas.com/product/wcm-01-0151w-2-4ghz-button-antenna/ But unfortanately two of them might not fit because of the spacing of the mainboard's connectors.

Last edited:

kevinhoog

Case Bender
New User
Dec 27, 2021
Sorry for raising this past from the dead but did you manage to use the taoglas antennas? Would fit really nice on my build

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I'll admit, I forgot I made this post.

So what happened in the end was I went with something like this off Amazon US:
I used them for a while, but I decided to switch over to Gigabyte motherboard wi-fi dongle in the end. My room is terrible for wi-fi so I needed something I could move around seperately.