"Un-brush" aluminum?

bennji

Case Bender
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Hey guys

I got my Velka 3 a little while ago and I really like it. The only thing I'm not in love with is the brushed aluminum. I think it would look a lot better if it was "regular" aluminum like the Streacom DA2, something more apple-esque. I've been thinking about just taking a sander to it, but I don't really want it to be polished or anything. Do you have any tips? Maybe sandblasting?

Thanks

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Yes, you should sandblast it. But just be aware, since it's thin aluminum, you have to use special method (something softer), not regular sandblasting. And then you have to anodize it again.

bennji

Case Bender
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Yes, you should sandblast it. But just be aware, since it's thin aluminum, you have to use special method (something softer), not regular sandblasting. And then you have to anodize it again.

Thanks for the reply. Would soda blasting be appropriate?

mindad

Chassis Packer
Dec 22, 2019
If I remember correctly, for thin aluminum most shops will use either soda, glass, or media (walnut shells, corn, etc) at lower pressure to prevent warping.

One place to check out that often does small-scale blasting are powdercoat shops. Quality can be hit or miss, though; they should have samples available for customers to look at usually.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
As mentioned above, you can have it media blasted of some sorts. I'd suggest anodizing if you want that true Apple-like look/feel. But, powdercoat or ceramic coat are all great options as well.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
You could do what I am doing for my Velka 5 and message @warmack to make you a wooden faceplate?

He did one for his Velka3 and it looks incredible and in turn covers up the brushed panel.
Just a thought in the event you like the look of wood ;)

Reactions: warmack

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
glass bead blasted with fine glass but still re-anodized not cost-effective, powder-coating silver or a color would be more reasonable alternative, still costly, but more durable than anodizing