Thinking about a SFF build. Is it for me?

gdourado

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Hello, how are you?
I just came into this forum while researching about sff online.
I am thinking about doing a sff build, but I am a bit scared of the tradeoffs and wonder if it is for me.
My current system is a 3770k i ran at 4.6 and it's cooled by a Noctua D14.
My gpu is a 980ti G1 at 1500 core clock and I run 16gb of ddr3 at 2400.
The case is a HAF XB with two front 140mm air penetrator fans.

Here is a pic of my current build:

I like the performance I get, but the case is heavy and bulky.
I was thinking about doing a new ITX 7700k build but on a sff case like the Dan A4 or the Dr. Zaber.
I like the idea of not having wasted space on my build, and be able to take the computer to the living room when I feel like playing on the couch and the big tv.

But like you see, I like to OC and push my system, so I am afraid of the trade-offs I would have to do by going SFF.
How is the cooling and OC on SFF?
Can I run open air GPUs like a 1080ti lightning or gigabyte extreme?
Or am I limited to FE cards?

Thank you for your opinions.
Cheers!

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Before the case makers in this forum make their cases ;):

How is the cooling and OC on SFF?

Most super tight cases behave like an open bench rig since the case walls are close to the actual CPU and/or GPU coolers, otherwise if the vent layout are similar to other large cases they'd behave the same.

Can I run open air GPUs like a 1080ti lightning or gigabyte extreme?
Or am I limited to FE cards?

You can, but look out for the areas near the fans of the GPUs. If you want heatsink cooler GPUs, there must be a vent or fan facing the GPU fans (like any other cases really). The only thing to triple-check is the GPU's dimensions. Not many SFF cases can house triple slot cards (be it true 3-slot or "2.5" slot).

Shopping for an SFF case is just the same as shopping for a large case when you're talking in terms of cooling and airflow, but cases like the Dan A4 and the NFC S4 Mini are tiny to the point that the "case fans" are the CPU and GPU fans themselves.

tradeoffs

Well currently there's only one PCIe device you're using right now, so there isn't much to lose besides wasted space. Other than that you'd be utilising M.2 SSDs and 2.5" drives for storage, and few (if none at all) does 3.5" disks and 5.25" bays.

Other key point of note is that your current CPU cooler might not fit, so maybe make plans for it after you get your new case (sell, trade, hand down to friend/relative, etc)

Oh! Tell your case his brother says hi!

Last edited: