The Procrastination Build

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Hi folks!

This is my build thread. Where all my ideas and whatnot will go. If you have an comments or suggestions, feel free to post. Hopefully I actually get around to building this, but there is always the possibility it doesn't happen...again.

------------------------------------------
Overview: It's about that time where I'm starting to make plans to build a PC with a scheduled completion of somewhere around Christmas/New Years. I don't do much gaming on my current computer but would like the option to do so if I so desire. Part of me also wants a new toy, I mean let's just be honest with ourselves - realistically, I could not build the PC and use the Mini until it dies but part of me really wants to build a PC.

My Mac Mini is currently mounted to the bottom of my desk, effectively hidden out of the way. It'll most like remain there (because it's easier to do that than remove it) so if I do find the need to use the Mac OS again, it will still be handy.

Specs of current computer (Mac Mini Late 2014):
CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
GPU: Intel Iris 1536 MB

Goals: I'm looking to make this PC small. I would like to hide it out of the way, or ensure it is small enough that even if I can't hide it, it won't dominate the room. The space my wife and I are currently in is tiny, so space is costly. Personal preference and aesthetics is also big at play.

Case In Question: Geeek A20

Materials : Acrylic
Dimensions (H x W x D) : 295x234x100mm (Basically the size of an Xbox One X, only a few mm bigger)
Motherboard : Mini-ITX
Drives : 2.5″ HDD/SSD x 2
Front ports : USB 3.0 x2 , HD Audio , MIC
Expansion Slots : 2
Cooling System : 80mm fan x1
Power Supply Type : FlexATX​

I'm not sure how I feel about the Flex ATX PSU as I've heard they can be quite noisy. However, I am not confident in my abilities to be able to wire up an HDPlex.

Build Idea #1: The Intel i5 7600

Build Idea #2: Ryzen 5 1600

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Alright, so quick update.

Doing more...logistics? if you can call it that.

Decided on a different route with the case. Essentially, everything I could find pointed to Flex ATX being a bit on the noisier side which isn't really what I want, and unless Im willing to do the wiring on whatnot on an HDPlex (which I'm not) that is out the window. NZXT is about to release a new case that I'm very interested in - the NZXT H200i.

I know, blasphemy.

While SFF, its only barely SFF. I think it measures something like 25l? Slightly smaller than the Nano S. Since there is a fair amount of time before I start pulling the trigger on this since I'm still doing a lot of looking around, I'll keep my eyes open for any other cases that capture my attention while fulfilling everything I need them to.

Edit: Although....that LZ7 case though....

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Alright, so quick update.

Doing more...logistics? if you can call it that.

Decided on a different route with the case. Essentially, everything I could find pointed to Flex ATX being a bit on the noisier side which isn't really what I want, and unless Im willing to do the wiring on whatnot on an HDPlex (which I'm not) that is out the window. NZXT is about to release a new case that I'm very interested in - the NZXT H200i.

I know, blasphemy.

While SFF, its only barely SFF. I think it measures something like 25l? Slightly smaller than the Nano S. Since there is a fair amount of time before I start pulling the trigger on this since I'm still doing a lot of looking around, I'll keep my eyes open for any other cases that capture my attention while fulfilling everything I need them to.

Edit: Although....that LZ7 case though....

Blasphemy indeed. :p

Yeah check either the LZ7 or Fire's MI-6 (soon to release). Bother are under 7l, support SFX PSU and full height itx graphics cards.

Reactions: Phuncz

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I am excited to see the build complited.

Why would you nosider i5 7600 insted of i5 84/5/600? It would me much better in every task.

If you already have the motherboard, than i understand.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I am excited to see the build complited.

Why would you nosider i5 7600 insted of i5 84/5/600? It would me much better in every task.

If you already have the motherboard, than i understand.

I think only reason I haven't considered them is just because I haven't seen them pop up on PCPartpicker which is where I do most of my build sketches. Might look into them, if the price range and performance is good. I like Ryzen just because of the workstation power it has.

Reactions: AleksandarK

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Blasphemy indeed. :p

Yeah check either the LZ7 or Fire's MI-6 (soon to release). Bother are under 7l, support SFX PSU and full height itx graphics cards.

My only issue with those cases is pricing. As much as I would love to pop $200 on a case, I could spend half that and put money towards something else.

But, if the functionality is there it may be worth it to spend that extra.

Hmmm.

Reactions: AleksandarK

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Looked a bit more into the LZ7, and it's feeling like a real possibility. For an all white one with the I/O attachment plus shipping to California, it'd run me about $250. Now I'm trying to decide, what do I buy first?

I think the best thing to do would be to buy a cheap test bench and use that to test the parts as they come in. This way I can make sure I have all the parts primed and ready to go. When the case comes in I'd just have to transplant it all over.

With this case in mind, my build is looking more like this:

Another alternative is an Xbox 360 chassis I posted in the General Chat thread. I could use it as a frame, and then build a box around it. Although the current plan is to do that and put a Raspberry Pi3 in it and run some emulators on it.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
One thing I can say is that I had always tried to save money on computer cases in the past, finally decided why am I putting a $1000+ computer inside of a $50 case. My Ncase M1 was the first time I ever spent $200 on a case, I don't regret it for a minute, the build quality is far above any case I have ever owned. I have seen nothing but good things said about the LZ7, I don't think you will be disappointed.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I wonder, with a case like the LZ7, do you think there would be a benefit to running a DC power with external brick vs the standard SFX? Maybe space for more fans?

Main concern with the case is the single case fan.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I wonder, with a case like the LZ7, do you think there would be a benefit to running a DC power with external brick vs the standard SFX? Maybe space for more fans?

You would have space for tower cooler allowing for much better cooling capacity for the processor.

Reactions: cmyk78

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I own both a Corsair SF450 and a SF600 and they are good little PSUs. I have never owned one of the HDPlex or the like and they just don't seem that plug and play to me, I also don't want to have to use a power brick. Give me a nice little SFX PSU any day.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I own both a Corsair SF450 and a SF600 and they are good little PSUs. I have never owned one of the HDPlex or the like and they just don't seem that plug and play to me, I also don't want to have to use a power brick. Give me a nice little SFX PSU any day.

Thats what Im leaning towards. Seeing how temps are with that first. Maybe buy a HDPlex or DC adapter or something and mess with it on the side and then install it.

Go the easy route first.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

You will have no issue running a Ryzen 1600 and GTX 1060, the single fan setup works well to flush out waste heat. @Tek Everything installed a Ryzen 1700 and GTX 1070 in his build video and CPU temperatures were running in the low 60's while gaming using the Noctua NH-L9 + 25mm Fan. More capable coolers are available such as the NH-L12 which should get you lower temps if its a still a concern.

I own both a Corsair SF450 and a SF600 and they are good little PSUs.

The SF450 is the perfect PSU for the case, it will run silent (fanless) even under full load for the components you are looking at using. I wouldn't move up to the SF600 unless you are going GTX 1080 and >65w TDP CPU.

Benefit of DC-DC power supply is increased space for CPU cooling, opening CPU cooler clearance from 67mm up to 130mm, allowing you to install a compact tower cooler such as the NH-U9S.

The drawbacks are the need for an external power brick (AC-DC adapter), and they are more expensive than SFX when you start looking at the higher wattage models.

SF450 is around £80, its the complete solution, no messing.

HDPLEX 400w HiFi DC-ATX is around £85, but you also need a 19V AC-DC adapter which can cost somewhere in the region of £50 to £90 depending on the wattage you go for.

My issue then is: I know nothing about those types of power supplies, and Im also not sure what I'd do with the holes in that panel.

A set of DC-DC specific panels are being released today/tomorrow for the LZ7, so you won't be left with any holes to cover, adapter plates are also included for a variety of different DC-DC power input connector types.

I have never owned one of the HDPlex or the like and they just don't seem that plug and play to me, I also don't want to have to use a power brick. Give me a nice little SFX PSU any day.

I agree, SFX power supplies are simplest and most straight forward path to take and also my personal preference for my own builds.

However DC-DC is pretty simple once you get your head round it, I must admit that I was also put off from using them initially for the same reasons. But after ordering the HDPLEX 400w unit its just a matter of mounting it inside the case and finding a suitable power brick to power it. I guess finding a suitable power brick is where it can get tricky if your unsure what to look for, you also have to bare in mind the different connector types (the small round plug you plug into your laptop for example).

The hardest part about building in the LZ7 is cable management, especially when you want a fully loaded build with Full IO (USB + Audio side ports), powered GPU, 2x 2.5" drives, etc. Using a modular power supply helps a little, but once you've added all these parts in you've used most the cables anyway!

This is one of the areas where the HDPLEX actually shines, it allows you to build a fully loaded system but with fewer wasted cables, the default cables are also shorter, coupled with the Vandal power switch option you end up with a much cleaner and easier to cable manage system.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
You will have no issue running a Ryzen 1600 and GTX 1060, the single fan setup works well to flush out waste heat. @Tek Everything installed a Ryzen 1700 and GTX 1070 in his build video and CPU temperatures were running in the low 60's while gaming using the Noctua NH-L9 + 25mm Fan. More capable coolers are available such as the NH-L12 which should get you lower temps if its a still a concern.

The SF450 is the perfect PSU for the case, it will run silent (fanless) even under full load for the components you are looking at using. I wouldn't move up to the SF600 unless you are going GTX 1080 and >65w TDP CPU.

Benefit of DC-DC power supply is increased space for CPU cooling, opening CPU cooler clearance from 67mm up to 130mm, allowing you to install a compact tower cooler such as the NH-U9S.

The drawbacks are the need for an external power brick (AC-DC adapter), and they are more expensive than SFX when you start looking at the higher wattage models.

SF450 is around £80, its the complete solution, no messing.

HDPLEX 400w HiFi DC-ATX is around £85, but you also need a 19V AC-DC adapter which can cost somewhere in the region of £50 to £90 depending on the wattage you go for.

A set of DC-DC specific panels are being released today/tomorrow for the LZ7, so you won't be left with any holes to cover, adapter plates are also included for a variety of different DC-DC power input connector types.

I agree, SFX power supplies are simplest and most straight forward path to take and also my personal preference for my own builds.

However DC-DC is pretty simple once you get your head round it, I must admit that I was also put off from using them initially for the same reasons. But after ordering the HDPLEX 400w unit its just a matter of mounting it inside the case and finding a suitable power brick to power it. I guess finding a suitable power brick is where it can get tricky if your unsure what to look for, you also have to bare in mind the different connector types (the small round plug you plug into your laptop for example).

The hardest part about building in the LZ7 is cable management, especially when you want a fully loaded build with Full IO (USB + Audio side ports), powered GPU, 2x 2.5" drives, etc. Using a modular power supply helps a little, but once you've added all these parts in you've used most the cables anyway!

This is one of the areas where the HDPLEX actually shines, it allows you to build a fully loaded system but with fewer wasted cables, the default cables are also shorter, coupled with the Vandal power switch option you end up with a much cleaner and easier to cable manage system.

The man himself is among us!

Thanks for all the information, man! I really appreciate it.

The PSU was definitely a concern because I wasn't sure how loud it would be as it's kind of hard to tell from Youtube videos lol Also awesome to know that you're releasing panels for the DC connection! Im for sure going with the SF450, mainly because I don't want to get in over my head yet. Always possible I switch to the DC or HDPlex in the future.

The cable management is definitely one of the things Im concerned with, but I figure some custom made ones should take care of that for the most part.

I'm about 95% sure I'm going with your case, so I'll definitely keep myself updated with anything you release.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Tek Everything

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
All the panels are available at Overclockers UK now, not made the official announcement yet as I think its a little confusing if you don't know the difference between SFX and DC-DC power supplies, I need to put some diagrams together I htink to accompany the configurator. I'm discussing options with Overclockers of ways to simplify ordering the different combinations.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
All the panels are available at Overclockers UK now, not made the official announcement yet as I think its a little confusing if you don't know the difference between SFX and DC-DC power supplies, I need to put some diagrams together I htink to accompany the configurator. I'm discussing options with Overclockers of ways to simplify ordering the different combinations.
I think something like this may deserve a video.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com

Oh, sweet. I'll definitely pick some up when I order then, just in case.

I think something like this may deserve a video.

Agreed, quick simple walk through. Maybe @Tek Everything can help with that ;)