Slow I/O on Deskmini 110?

whum

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2017
Hi there, I recently put together a Deskmini 110 and everything has been pretty satisfactory. But the USB 3.0 speeds and even internal SATA speed between the main m.2 drive and the secondary SATA HDD have been pretty dismal. I was wondering if the 110 is known for this, or if I might be experiencing an issue?

Putting large files on a usb 3.0 drive for instance, I'm seeing transfer speeds around 12-20mb/s. When I transfer those files from the same USB to an Intel NUC I have, it transfers around 120-150mbs consistently. And those same files transfer around 50mb/s from the main to the SATA HD. I'm not sure what might be going on because initially, the speeds were pretty decent, but now they are just inconsistent at best, and slow at worst.

I know this isn't a tech support area, but I'm just curious if anybody knows whether the 110 is by any chance slower with I/O that say, the Intel NUC? I don't know if that makes any sense, but I figured I might ask. Thanks.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
In task manager (I'm assuming you're running Windows), is anything else taxing your drives? I wonder if antivirus (or virus) or another program is hogging bandwidth on your storage bus.

How old is your main drive? Slow speeds could also be a sign of failing storage devices :/

Reactions: whum

whum

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2017
In task manager (I'm assuming you're running Windows), is anything else taxing your drives? I wonder if antivirus (or virus) or another program is hogging bandwidth on your storage bus.

How old is your main drive? Slow speeds could also be a sign of failing storage devices :/

Thanks. There are a few programs writing to the SATA drive, but I turned these off, and still see speeds of around 39mb/s from the main m.2 to the SATA drive. The main drive is a Corsair MP500 m.2 that is about five months old. I would have preferred to go with the Samsung EVO but I wouldn't have expected the MP500 to have such a shortcoming. Surely it is a malfunction somewhere. Resources are very free. Thanks for your help!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It might be a driver issue. Be sure the correct and recent Intel chipset drivers are installed. Also check the BIOS has the SATA set at RAID or AHCI (not IDE !).