SFF.Network Silverstone at CES 2018

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Like the PCIe slot hotswap bay. (NCase M1 and single-slot GPU owners, please note.)
Not so hot on the prototype HTPC chassis. Who has a HTPC with 10 spinning drives in it? Seems more like a server chassis, but there are lots of cheap (E)ATX cases out there if you need that much hardware.
The Flex-ATX PSU looked non-modular, so will likely be a bit of a dealbreaker for SFF use.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

ooh nice, an alternative to the startech one! (forgot the oem for startech)
(EDIT: oh right, addonics http://www.addonics.com/products/ad4sa354m2.php )

Last edited:

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
"The adoption of the form factor has been slower than expected"

Yeah, especially when MXM cards cost 2x as much as their PCIe counterparts. Fix that problem and you'd get beaucoup people wanting it.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
That 10-bay NAS case, do we have any more pics please? Especially with front flap folded down. Are the drives on removable caddies?

I'm possibly interested in getting one to replace my U-NAS NSC800, because 8-bay soon won't be enough for me.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Sorry, no more pics. It was 10-liters too big but included due to supporting SFX PSU's

This is the only picture with the flap folded down. This is a picture of switch that prevents the front release button from allowing the front panel to fold downwards.
https://smallformfactor.net/wp-content/uploads/DSC07058-810x541.jpg

The bays were all hot-swap with the front plastic panel having a key to lock it shut.

Are the drives on removable caddies? Yes

Reactions: wywywywy and Phuncz

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Any word on what kind of fan is in that Flex ATX PSU, and if they plan on selling higher power ones as well? I like that M.2 PCIe card, wish it could do 2x m.2 drives.

Last edited:

Bruman

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
I like that M.2 PCIe card
Same here, would be a nice upgrade for a computer with no M.2 slots.

Do they have any idea when the Fanless SFX will be released, I'm chomping at the bit here.

EDIT: Also a short explination about the looming demise of micro-STX here.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
To be fair, Silverstone did say that they are done promoting mSTX as they aren't seeing any sales.
They spent last year helping to push it into the eyes of consumers and this year they plan to abandon that format.
This includes EOLing both mSTX chassis in their lineup.

Reactions: AleksandarK

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
To be fair, Silverstone did say that they are done promoting mSTX as they aren't seeing any sales.
They spent last year helping to push it into the eyes of consumers and this year they plan to abandon that format.
They woud get more sales if they offered a pre-built with their case. Maybe add some discount like 10-50$ vs building your own and they would get at least some procentage of the mSTX sales.

ASRock's case is pretty good and well build overall, so i dont think anyone sees the case as "must replace when buy". It is sturdy, nice and subtile looking, offers good storage and cooler support.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015

Maybe. I'd make the case that they spent the last year demoing two prototype cases that wernt (by the accounts of people who handled them) all that well built compared to ASRock's stock chassis. I'd also make the case that their efforts had absolutely nothing to do with trying to push microSTX into the hearts and minds of consumers as a platform and everything to do w/ them trying to advance their own image of being market leaders ready to jump onto anything that has even a slim chance of being the next big thing, the next multi-million cases sold. As has been said elsewhere ASRock arent selling bare boards directly to the public either so its of little wonder that Silverstone has lost all interest.

Im not going to sit here and pretend im convinced (or otherwise) that microSTX will make it for the long haul but if SFFn's own reporting is anything to go by then ASRock have been working on both AMD variations of the format and have submitted it for consideration as an actual standardised form factor, they're selling boards to system integrators as well as selling their own bare bones kits, Digital Storm are have bought at least enough of these things to make it worth Swiftech's (or whoever it was) time to dev up a custom water block for it. At least for the time being all signs point to it being a long way away from life support, weather that holds true long term remains to be seen (remember BTX, lol)

Ultimately though my problem w/ this video has nothing to do w/ any of that. Its the opinion presented as fact, assumptive thinking and the gargantuan leaps of unexplained logic (again, presented as fact) that the presenter takes that lead me to consider it to be little more than click bait. When it comes to critical thinking skills there wasn't much of any on display here, imo no one should make that same mistake and take anything presented there as gospel.

My $0.02

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I agree, Silverstone seems to think they've done their best to promote the platform but with two lackluster cases and no boards in sight, there is little momentum to be had. Silverstone produces the largest SFX PSU lineup and their case lineup is lacking in SFX support too, go figure (keyword: synergy). It's a brand that's all over the place but needs to embrace other companies to make a platform succeed. MITX didn't become this big (dual-hit pun) because VIA was selling Epia boards to consumers like hotcakes. SFX didn't become a success because Silverstone had a few random cases that uses them.

Silverstone: less pointing fingers, more looking into mirrors.