Storage [SFFn] SilverStone's FS204 - Moar Storage!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
With today's larger and larger games, operating systems and file formats, more storage space is sometimes a need, rather than a desire. Whilst most cases have a few drive mounts, sometimes we need more. More! Enter the SilverStone FS204, a 5.25" bay device to finally put that empty optical drive bay to use!

Fitting in four 2.5" drives, this single bay device offers a semi-premium option to the market segment, with an all aluminium construction, black anodising and lockable drive sleds. Let's see if the FS204 fits the higher price point, or if it's all just hot air.

Read more here.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
This would be really great if I actually had a 5.25" drive bay. Oh well I am sure many do.

I was checking the other day and now both Seagate and WD offer 2TB 2.5" drives at 7mm.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Minor correction: "locking pall" to "locking pawl".

And if you're a glutton for MOAR BAYS, there are 8-slot arrays available for a single 5.25" bay (though limited to 7mm thick drives).

Reactions: Phuncz

funklizard

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2017
With today's larger and larger games, operating systems and file formats, more storage space is sometimes a need, rather than a desire. Whilst most cases have a few drive mounts, sometimes we need more. More! Enter the SilverStone FS204, a 5.25" bay device to finally put that empty optical drive bay to use!
Apart from the paint job, this unit looks completely identical to iStarUSA's BPU-124DE-SS, which has been on the market for a few years now. I have one; it's a quality piece of hardware. At least it looks like Silverstone has put theirs at about the same price point.

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018

Fitting in four 2.5" drives, this single bay device offers a semi-premium option to the market segment, with an all aluminium construction, black anodising and lockable drive sleds. Let's see if the FS204 fits the higher price point, or if it's all just hot air.

Read more here.

What direction do the fans move air? Do they bring air into the case?

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@enricko7 Yes they do. Cool air from the front of the chassis is pulled over the drives.

@funklizard I've also found that Athena Power rebrands these units as well!

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Duality92 Silverstone claims on the product page that the unit is capable of 15mm thick drives! I would pull a sled to check, but it's in a server that's in production now, sorry :/