SFF Mini ITX vs Micro PC's?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I find onsite support to be a crap shoot. I've had Dell and Lenovo onsite service multiple times. Lenovo is better though in that I've convinced them more than once to trust my diagnosis and just send me a part. But the on-site techs, when they show up, are frequently not skilled and make mistakes. I've more than once had to instruct them how to correctly do their job. FYI this was service on thinkpads, thinkstations, and dell precision laptops.

My experience with dell and lenovo has been the exact opposite, they tend to know more than I do.
Maybe it's my proximity to silicon valley. :p

Planck

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
The Asrock Deskmini is an STX barebone and comes with a chassis + power brick. You only have to add CPU, RAM and storage.

My company uses those exact same HP and it works well. Make sure you get one with an SSD. Modern PC shouldn't use HDD for OS anymore :D.

I'd advise to stay away from the older AMD PRO-A models.

I wasn't arguing about the noise or the Lenovo Tiny / blower type cooler.

I have severe tinnitus and hyperacusis. I know too well what noise is as my limit is at bedroom noise level.

Lemme quote properly...

It will be a paperwork + web machine. What does boost, vrms or power have to do here ? User is not asking for a another gaming or **** waving rig. It's easier to cool a 35w CPU than a power hog and the chassis will be smaller too since (s)he won't need a full tower or AIO to keep it cool&quiet.

For example, an i9-9900T under load is 20C cooler than an i9-9900 or an i7-8700 .... Hence lower noise.

My point is I appreciate over engineered for silence as opposed to marginal laptop noisy engineered. Just because a system has more leg than you need, isn't a bad thing, and will likely mean you will never tax the cooling solution. If it were me, I would get a lowish tdp i5 or ryzen 3000 with igpu in an tiny itx case with a low profile noctua heatsink over a propietary micro PC any day. I think the benefits far outweigh the marginal size increase.