SFF Laptops

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
https://liliputing.com/2017/02/gpd-pocket-7-inch-laptop-pre-order-399-crowdfunding.html

I hear mix things about GPD quality, but very interesting. I wish they could update it with Apollo Lake and an m.2 drive instead of 8GB of RAM. Maybe we can get a v2 :)

quick spec list if you dont want to load:
Atom X8750 CPU
8GB DDR3
128gb eMMC Memory
7inch 1920x1200 screen
Keyboard with thinkpad like nib
active cooling
Type C charging + USB 3.0 Type A port

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It'll be an great device if GPD can deliver. The previous GPD Win is an interesting device, but they had issues with failure rates on the early models, and are still fulfilling deliveries of their original crowdfunding campaign. They're rolling out a new revision, but it's also called the "GPD Win" so it's nearly impossible to tell for sure which version you're going to get.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Certainly interesting, but I can't say that I personally have any use for it. Not sure about it not being able to act as a tablet at that size either. While it's a very cool device for the price, I lack finding a good use for it in general that wouldn't be covered by a 7" tablet. Everything that I'd want windows for on a mobile device would benefit from at least a 10" screen.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
9" screen is the perfect tablet size, IMHO. 10" is bordering too large, and smaller makes reading text / full pages harder.

As for a keyboard on a 7" device... Even well made 9" laptops have sub-par key spacing. I used to love my Fiva 206, but damned if it was easy to type on it... But then again, I have man-sized but thin fingers.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I think it's really exciting that this device is being made, but like @iFreilicht said... I can't see much use for it personally.

It's exciting to me that we're starting to see 'handheld' sized PCs, but their hardware doesn't yet seem to match up with devices like the 3DS or the PSVita. I really like the idea of the GPD Win that LTT Reviewed, but I don't think it's "there yet."

Here-and-now, I think that "in general," at the following sizes you should be looking at:

• Less than 10": Tablet-style device. Android tablet or an iPad according to your needs/preferences.
  • 10"-~13": Chromebook for typical user/document management/student, Surface Pro for artist/enthusiast/content creator.
  • ~13"+: Laptop, it's honestly possible a Chromebook is still better value, but from here on you can find premium products with very small footprints and bezels for whatever niche you need.
I reckon that you must be pursuing some form of extreme minimalism to need a ~7" or smaller Windows computer. Like, are you an ultra-light backpacker or something? What do you need a computer that small for? Is it really usable for anything that you "need" a computer for? In terms of both ergonomics and performance.

Edit: How much does this thing weigh? Regarding ultra light travel specifically, the more premium thin-and-light laptops are pretty insanely light and a durable case for them could also be similarly light... I have a hard time believing the space and performance and ease-of-use compromised would actually be a good fit for any user, but then again I could be wrong about how hard-to-use a computer this size is.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I guess im an outlier but I see a couple of cases where the Linux build of this device, or a device like it, could be useful to me.

Firstly is when doing tech support for other people. Often times im carrying a bag full of tools, cables, connectors, crimpers, etc along w/ a relatively performant 15 inch laptop when 99% of what im going to be using that laptop for is terminal, web browser or the occasional bit of light weight software to drag someone else's equipment back to life. Not having to carry around a second bag for the laptop or just saving the space and weight in a bag full of other stuff would be great.

Secondly I see it potentially being useful for a few SDR type things I enjoy doing on the go. Again where I dont need a full fat 15" laptop, I really need just enough computer to bootstrap the radio, do some logging, occasionally run some sort of web service to interact w/ and visualise data, etc

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
With Windows Phone offering Continuum and Windows 10 running on ARM, if MS can get WP off the ground they may have a strong replacement for this. Those are some pretty big "ifs" though. Maybe I could settle for a Snapdragon 835 powered Surface Mini...

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I carry a 15.6" laptop with me along with my ifixit kit, a more conventional screwdriver, an external hard drive, and a few other gadgets along with me no problem. Rather than having a separate bag for my laptop bag, I just have a high volume messenger bag with a laptop sleeve I keep inside the bag. If you wanted to be more versatile, you could get a laptop sleeve that has either a detachable strap or just has a strap.

In general, I regret having a 15.6" laptop, I could get by with a smaller laptop for everything I do, kind of like you are suggesting. Even when I slack and use my work laptop for gaming, a 14" screen would be fine. And while I do use the numpad (the main reason I went 15.6"), I wouldn't really suffer if I didn't have it.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
15 inches is stretching it a bit, but 12 inches are good for my uses and at that size you get very light machines in general.

I like @j0rd's usecase though, that is actually quite legitimate. Not sure it justifies a dedicated device, but that's better than nothing. With that being said, having a good android phablet seems to work just as well. The only thing you'd need then is the keyboard of this mini-Laptop, which seems like a much more viable product on its own.

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
This weekend I will be travelling w/
  • aprox 50m coax
  • aprox 50m cat6
  • two crimper tools
  • three bags of connectors (RJ45, F-type & PAL)
  • two stripper tools
  • one set of side cutters
  • one iPad (not strictly necesary but it tends to come in handy)
  • one multi port USB charger
  • two USB - lightning cables
  • one Netgear ADSL modem and wall wart (i forget the model #)
  • one Raspberry Pi model B & a wifi dongle & a USB charger for it
  • one laptop
  • one laptop power brick
  • One external HDD
  • one USB SDR
  • one bag of adaptors for SDR and whatever is on the end of the antennas i'll be dealing w/
  • two days of clothing
  • other stuff ive probably forgotten
  • iPhone, keys, etc in pockets
All this will be stuffed as best I can into a 65L rucksack. Due to reasons the Laptop has Windows installed on it and needs to stay that way (insert grumble here) and the external HDD has a Linux install on. Ideally I'll be bringing the Netgear unit and the Rpi back w/ me but in case there isn't hardware at the location / the hardware is baked i'm taking what I have spare w/ me to leave behind if needed (unfortunately i dont have an all in one consumer router/switch/wifi ap spare right now). Being able to shitcan a bulky 15" laptop (in a padded sleeve), The Power supply for it, the USB HDD & its cable and and just have a small 7" device and charge it off the multiport USB charger would reduce the amount of crap im travelling w/, free up room in my bag and reduce the weight. I guess this crosses into the Ultra light traveller territory some also but its my situation. The laptop and associated hardware is amongst the bulkiest things i'll be carrying on my back and one of the heavier things that i could downsize (tools are heavy, 100m of cable is heavyish but I cant really do much about either of those). I wouldn't normally be travelling w/ so much cable and cable tools but its not uncommon that i'll be bringing spare hardware & at least some cable and tools to terminate it, if there is even a remote chance it will be needed. even then being able to drop a full size laptop, power adaptor, etc and replace it w/ something that's drastically smaller, lighter and able to charge off the multiport USB charger I basically travel everywhere w/ would make a difference. The vast majority of tech support I do is in somewhat remote locations, if I need something and don't have it then the job isn't getting done. I've considered replacing the busted screen on my netbook but the damn thing is anaemic at the best of times and really needs a new battery and keyboard too. I guess I really fall into quite a small niche but when doing tech support in the middle of nowhere this is the sort of stuff I find myself having to think about more and more. Also the side benefit of having an SDR machine that isn't an Rpi, USB battery pack, USB SDR and antenna wrapped in gaffer tape & that doesn't need me to remote in from another device to get it doing something useful but still fits in my backpack where its out of sight would be nice.

All this to say there are use cases for devices like this, their just not always immediately obvious ones that apply to the mass consumer market

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
In that situation, one of the 7"/8" Windows tablets with a separate keyboard may also be something to consider, the major difference from the GPD Win being that you can carry the screen separately as a tablet (good for consulting documentation) and position the screen and keyboard apart for ergonomics. Downside is they two generally do not lock securely to each other, so cannot be used as a laptop in your lap easily.

jØrd

sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
The issue there is Linux support. For better or for worse I'm much more familiar and proficient in Linux. Sitting in the middle of a grass paddock in the middle of nowhere isn't really the best time to be trying to get your experience up in an unfamiliar operating system that, at the end of the day, IMO doesn't do the tasks I need it to do nearly as well as the Linux systems I'm used to working in. Ultimately it ended up being a moot point this time around anyway. Despite swearing blind the phone lines had been provisioned the telco responsible hadn't done a god damn thing (literally nothing). So there was alot less that I was able to get done whilst I was out there.

The direction I was going wasn't so much "I have a specific use case for this" (although it would be a super useful addition to my tool set) but more "there will be use cases for this that are somewhat niche and not immediately obvious outside of those niches. Here is one I prepared earlier". The vast majority of people buying this device will likely be buying it as a "toy" but that's not to say its only use is as such.

Reactions: Soul_Est and zovc

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
My Lenovo ThinkPad X200s was a great SFF ultraportable notebook. 12.1" 1440x900 display, 9-cell battery (all day battery life), 60 GB SSD (att), and ran very well under Linux. Currently running a Lenovo ThinkPad X201 with Arch Linux as my workstation.

nero626

Average Stuffer
Dec 8, 2016
seems like they've been sending out review units, this thing actually looks pretty cool, though I'm still trying to think of a use case for it vs a tablet or other cheap win10 laptops

Reactions: Phuncz