Self Extended LZ7

troybot

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Hi all,

I decided to extend my LZ7 since I had a 2080ti which sadly could not fit. While I was waiting for the XTD version to come out, I was rather impatient and simply made my own. Originally I spent hours completely taking it apart and trying to measure it, but that was difficult. Then I took it to my work and scanned it with an A4 scanner. That was painful and also produced strange results. Then a kind person on this forum gave me their results to check from. I then made some more changes and had it laser cut in the Netherlands. Total cost around 65Euro for 4 panels.

Current finished result. I accidentally forgot to allow holes for the feet I have ... oops.

Yes, it has 2x14cm fans on each side:

My plan was to use filters and bend them into the fan cutouts, but it looked bad. So now I am running without them. I also planned to have the GPU run without the shroud and have the 2x14cm fans against it, but unfortunately my EVGA 2080ti has a metal frame welded to the heatsink which sticks out,so my fans are unfortunately outside as a result. A bit disappointing.

When the panels came from the laser cutter, some were not fully cut through. For the hexagon cut outs I had no problem with it. But some of the corner screw holes were still filled! I sent an email last night to the manufacturer. The bottom panel holes I could push through. But for the top panel, unfortunately, the entire corner snapped off.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Well, I feel obligated to say you've done an outstanding job, my friend. Clean, beautiful and on par with the original lz7 spirit.

Congrats!

Reactions: troybot

Bjornyyy

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2017
First of all, you did an amazing job on the case. Secondly, where did you let your panels cut? I live in the Netherlands but can't seem to find a company to do it for me.

troybot

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
First of all, you did an amazing job on the case. Secondly, where did you let your panels cut? I live in the Netherlands but can't seem to find a company to do it for me.
Hi, thanks. I used https://snijlab.nl/nl. They have a large number of types of plastic and other materials you can cut into. Somewhere on their webpage they also have a 5% discount code you can use. I made my cad files so that 2 of the panels fit on their sheet size, it made it a bit cheaper as you pay per piece of material.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Awesome mod! My brain immediately goes to "Could he make a Morpheus II work as his CPU cooler with all that room in the front now?!"

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Great build, what are you cables lengths out of interest?
My build is a very similar layout and size and I'm going to be getting some cables from Ensourced but my system's connector placement is almost identical to yours so would be helpful to have some estimates :p

troybot

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Awesome mod! My brain immediately goes to "Could he make a Morpheus II work as his CPU cooler with all that room in the front now?!"

Thanks. My original thought was to use an AIO once I eventually upgrade my CPU. Currently I am only using an i5 8400, so it runs cool. Unfortunately I think that would not work due to ram height the location of the MB power cables

Great build, what are you cables lengths out of interest?
My build is a very similar layout and size and I'm going to be getting some cables from Ensourced but my system's connector placement is almost identical to yours so would be helpful to have some estimates :p

I had them custom made by pslate (he is active on this forum, or search for pslatecustoms online) and calculated the lengths for me. If anything they were slightly long, but I think that's probably better than shorter! But if you need actual lengths I think I saw a reddit post a while ago with estimates.