SFF.Network Sapphire Releases a RX 550 with Extra Horsepower

Hot on the heels of the RX560 LITE launch, Sapphire also snuck a slightly upgraded RX550 on to their product stack, based on "Polaris 21" silicon, rather than the Polaris 20 silicon, that the RX 550 is normally built on. The Pulse Radeon RX 550 2GD5/4GD5 (model: 11268-16 for 2 GB and 11268-15 for 4 GB) has 10 out of 16 compute units physically present on the chip, which translates to 640 stream processors, higher than the 512 stream processors the RX 550 is originally designed to have. The card is running the core at a 1071 MHz core clock and stays within the 75W limit of the PCIe bus, with no extra power inputs.

More here.

Reactions: cmyk78 and Phuncz

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
So we have an RX550 with 8CU, one with 10CU, an RX560 with 14CU and an RX560 with 16CU. Kind of sounds like AMD is trying to clear out stock.... IIRC they have a 28CU and 32CU RX570 as well? and a 36CU RX580. I'll be completely honest it feels like AMD is going to kill off RGU or at least shut down the discrete graphics part soon, especially since nothing is planned for this year. As much as I hate to say it, I hope Intel's dGPU is coming sometime this year...

Reactions: VegetableStu

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I hope Intel's dGPU is coming sometime this year...

Maybe Intel is going to consume RTG? or it will break off entirely so it can work with both AMD and Intel independently. If RTG did this, it would be easier to get both parties involved for competing against Nvidia (GPUs, Servers, Research farms) and ARM (mobile market).

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Maybe Intel is going to consume RTG? or it will break off entirely so it can work with both AMD and Intel independently. If RTG did this, it would be easier to get both parties involved for competing against Nvidia (GPUs, Servers, Research farms) and ARM (mobile market).

I never considered them breaking off entirely but that'd be interesting. However it seems unlikely that Raja Koduri would go to Intel and they'd announce the new dGPU and iGPU plans for Intel specifically. A bit of a shame :(

I think for AMD and Intel they both need to be very careful now that Windows on ARM is around, because Nvidia is capable of making a Tegra chip that can rival Kaveri APU in graphics performance. We don't see many ARM CPU's built for performance, but I don't think it'd be unreasonable for Nvidia or Qualcomm to have an ARM SOC that is under 30W and match what RTG is putting out within the next 3-5 years. For desktops its not super interesting but for HTPC's and thin-and-light laptops that'd be a pretty major development.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
what they do with those shrouds should be considered a crime

No kidding that's god awful like many of the designs out there honestly. I can't believe they have a great looking cooler like the Nitro series and produce that.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
More horsepower? So that's how you keep the 550 relevant with the upcoming Vega APUs...