Salvo 400 #19 - AIO in 7.14L

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
This will be my first build since joining the SFF community. I purchased this wonderful case a couple weeks after joining and finally found the time and resources to complete this one out. It was a challenge to build in but very fun as well. This is the Salvo 400 built by @grsychckn. Despite being sold out, @grsychckn has an updated build in the works named the Salvo 401 or S401. It looks great and I hope you check it out and support him!

Now onto the build!

I was drawn to this case because it had a few things that others did not. Similarly shaped to the Sentry, it was thin with the GPU and motherboard side by side. However, the GPU faces the same direction as the CPU fan allowing for better airflow. It also looked great having both the GPU and CPU facing the same direction. Not to mention the aluminum is super light, and the powder coat looks great.

I originally had a full sized GTX 770 to throw in this case, but I was looking to upgrade my card. I really wanted to pick up a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini, but prices and stock was a hurdle I could not clear.
(See below with full sized GPU for reference)

With the prices of the GTX 10XX line sky rocketing, I had to figure out something else.

I had read about many of the SFF community members modding and adding their own little touches to cases. The most intriguing was setting up a Sentry case with an AIO (hyperlink). I planned and measured to put a half-size GPU and a 120mm AIO next to it while still keeping the Corsair SF600 next to the motherboard. I picked up a cheap Corsair H75 off of eBay and called it a day. Just a quick note, everything for this build was purchased on eBay aside from the RAM and CPU which I pulled from some old systems.

Drilling through the aluminum was easy enough. I was able to get the fan mounted to the case no problem. I also purchased some nylon “washers”/stand offs that helped as well. A 15mm slim Noctua fan fit perfectly and moves a decent amount of air from the gap through the radiator. I’m pretty happy with the noise level as well.

It was a tight fit, but I managed to get everything in and route the cables and tubes nicely.

Lastly, I put in the GPU. I ended up getting a second hand Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini off of ebay cheaper than a GTX 1050ti. There was plenty of room to slide it in and mount it.

I need to take some final pictures of my set up, so I will update the thread when I have time. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wow - nice work indeed! As a side note, I'm going to try and incorporate a 120mm mount in the S401 so users such as yourself wouldn't have to make you're own. Seriously impressed.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Nice job, build looks great. I recently ran into the same problem getting ready for my MI-6 build. I had planned on the MSI GTX 1070 Aero but ran into the same problem you had, ended up getting the same Gigabyte 970 off ebay. I am actually surprised by how well it performs.

Reactions: BrotherStein

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Wow - nice work indeed! As a side note, I'm going to try and incorporate a 120mm mount in the S401 so users such as yourself wouldn't have to make you're own. Seriously impressed.

It was a fun little project to plan out, but mounts would be awesome. I think the tubes are a little tight, but it works great and way more quiet than the L9i I had in it originally. Thanks again for such a great case!

Nice job, build looks great. I recently ran into the same problem getting ready for my MI-6 build. I had planned on the MSI GTX 1070 Aero but ran into the same problem you had, ended up getting the same Gigabyte 970 off ebay. I am actually surprised by how well it performs.

Thanks! It's ridiculous how high those got. I liked the all black look of the Aero, but there was no way I was dropping that much cash for it. I'm super impressed by the 970. It runs like a champ!

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Nice build! Really like the mounting solution you came up with for the rad and fan. Also agree that used 970s are great bang for the buck GPUs right now.

Nice work!

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Wow that is awesome how you managed to fit the AIO cooler in it. So neat and compact!

I wish I could have done some custom length cables, but it turned out pretty nice. Super quiet as well!

Nice build! Really like the mounting solution you came up with for the rad and fan. Also agree that used 970s are great bang for the buck GPUs right now.

Nice work!

Thanks! It was really fun planning and drilling the holes for mounting.

Reactions: TheHig

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
I know this is an old post, but was looking at it as a reference for putting an AIO in the S401. @BrotherStein how is the tubes routed so that there are no kinks? I don't have an AIO to test, but it looks like there is very little space to bend them 90 degrees.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
I know this is an old post, but was looking at it as a reference for putting an AIO in the S401. @BrotherStein how is the tubes routed so that there are no kinks? I don't have an AIO to test, but it looks like there is very little space to bend them 90 degrees.

Very little space indeed. I tried a few different configs and just had to play with it. I was using a Corsair H90 I think. I basically just rotated the part that mounts to the CPU until there was no slack. I'm not sure what the layout of the S401 is looking like. It might fit even better because I had to drill holes in the S400 and mount it myself. Hope this helps!