Reducing GPU temps in a M66 case - install exhaust fan or swap out to a 2 fan GPU

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
I've been running Zelda Breath of the Wild on Cemu (Wii U emulator) and GPU temps are reaching 70-75 on 1080p and 80-82 on 2k. My MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX is holding up but definitely getting louder. This is the case I'm working with (https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...cYFRCu&id=579903903454&ns=1&abbucket=4#detail). Ideally I would like to run at 2k 60fps hence I upgraded by CPU cooler recently.

Here are the 2 options I have in mind:
1) Placing a slim 12mm (Scythe Slipstream Slim 120 x 120 x 12) fan underneath the GPU to act an exhaust - clearance may be an issue, doesn't look like a 15mm would be able to fit underneath. This is the preferred option since it would cost less than $10 to do.
2) Replacing the MSI GTX 1070 Aero ITX with a Galax 1070 OC Mini, an old fan but I found a decently discounted one, could trade my MSI one in for a trade in. Size may be an issue but I've always wanted to try a Galax GPU. The 1070 is getting long in the tooth so that's another consideration.

Probably the next demanding game I'll try on this system is Cyberpunk 2077 if it comes out later this year.
Appreciate the replies.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
First, don't worry about hitting 82-83C range with the MSI 1070. It won't hurt it. I have the same card.

The noise though, that's another issue. Try running without the side panel on. If the noise drops substantially, then you know it's an airflow issue. Then start with the fan (you can always reuse them later). Try both intake and exhaust.

I would honestly wait for a new GPU right now. Nvidia is going to launch Ampere and RDNA 2 is around the corner. Both will run be more efficient than what's out now, which means cooler and quieter.

Final option: get a good set of headphones. ?

Reactions: rocklobster

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
First, don't worry about hitting 82-83C range with the MSI 1070. It won't hurt it. I have the same card.

The noise though, that's another issue. Try running without the side panel on. If the noise drops substantially, then you know it's an airflow issue. Then start with the fan (you can always reuse them later). Try both intake and exhaust.

I would honestly wait for a new GPU right now. Nvidia is going to launch Ampere and RDNA 2 is around the corner. Both will run be more efficient than what's out now, which means cooler and quieter.

Final option: get a good set of headphones. ?

Thanks for the reply, the PSU was a large contributor of the noise, its an older SFX PUS with a 80 x 80 x 15mm fan that runs really loud. I'm getting that replaced first. I take your advice and hold off the GPU update. Dropping $100 for a PSU is manageable, but $400 for a GPU is too rich for my blood.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The MSI 1070 Aero ITX exhausts the air to the front and to the rear of the card (due to the arrangement of the heatsink fins orientation). See the 2 red arrows in pic below.
There is nothing you can do to help out the rear. But, from the design of the M66 case, I see there are ventilation slots on the front panel directly in front of the card. Obviously, they are to help out the card's exhaust. Maybe you can consider trying to attach two 40mm fans to enhance the exhaust? That is, the 2 brown squares in the pic.

Alternatively, if the front panel 120mm fan is currently set up as intake, maybe you can try that as exhaust. It might help expelling the card's front exhaust. If so, then the case bottom vent will become the primary air intake for the CPU.
(If you can show some pics of the interior, then I do not have to guess how the ventilation goes)

The card came out around March 2017 and if you got it then, it is 3 years already and it might be a good time to take out the display card and do a complete cleaning of the dust inside and maybe an reapplication of the thermal paste.

Last edited:

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
The MSI 1070 Aero ITX exhausts the air to the front and to the rear of the card (due to the arrangement of the heatsink fins orientation). See the 2 red arrows in pic below.
There is nothing you can do to help out the rear. But, from the design of the M66 case, I see there are ventilation slots on the front panel directly in front of the card. Obviously, they are to help out the card's exhaust. Maybe you can consider trying to attach two 40mm fans to enhance the exhaust? That is, the 2 brown squares in the pic.

Alternatively, if the front panel 120mm fan is currently set up as intake, maybe you can try that as exhaust. It might help expelling the card's front exhaust. If so, then the case bottom vent will become the primary air intake for the CPU.
(If you can show some pics of the interior, then I do not have to guess how the ventilation goes)

The card came out around March 2017 and if you got it then, it is 3 years already and it might be a good time to take out the display card and do a complete cleaning of the dust inside and maybe an reapplication of the thermal paste.

Thanks for the reply and the diagram!

Current case fan is set as an intake, max 120 x 20 but I managed to squeeze in a 120 x 25. I'll try it as an exhaust to see if that helps when I swap out the PSU later this week. If I swap the front fan from intake to exhaust, would there be a problem of insufficient incoming cool air?
I'm keen to try adding 2 x 40mm case fans, just touching the bottom grills I can feel hot air coming out the bottom. Problem is that most 40mm fan can get pretty loud and I'm trying to quieten my build.
Nothing much in the way of ventilation on the Mobo side, just a could of grills running along the side just above where the GPU would sit horizontally.
Did a semi-cleaning a few months back when I broke the GPU fan and had to get a replacement from Aliexpress. I'll spend next weekend on this.

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the reply and the diagram!

Current case fan is set as an intake, max 120 x 20 but I managed to squeeze in a 120 x 25. I'll try it as an exhaust to see if that helps when I swap out the PSU later this week. If I swap the front fan from intake to exhaust, would there be a problem of insufficient incoming cool air?
I'm keen to try adding 2 x 40mm case fans, just touching the bottom grills I can feel hot air coming out the bottom. Problem is that most 40mm fan can get pretty loud and I'm trying to quieten my build.
Nothing much in the way of ventilation on the Mobo side, just a could of grills running along the side just above where the GPU would sit horizontally.
Did a semi-cleaning a few months back when I broke the GPU fan and had to get a replacement from Aliexpress. I'll spend next weekend on this.

Did some ghetto engineering and fitted a portable (100mm) USB fan under my GPU to blow air into the case. Didn't see a drop in temperatures, but the drop when coming off a load was much better compared to without a fan. I think my case has reached it's limit of cooling / noise, I can't lower my noise or temps anymore unless I get a bigger fan on my cooler (not possible due to 62mm limit), bigger PSU (ATX for the bigger fan) or a water cool my system, all of which will require a bigger case.

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
Here is a collection of photos from last Friday, didn't manage to install the Scythe Kaze Flex fan so I went with the Prolimatech 14.

Temps and noise have come down substantially but PSU noise is still very noticeable, hopefully a fan swap will help with that.

There is a pic with the old Noctua L9a-AM4 from the previous setup. I stuck the SSDs to the top of the case, may consider sticking them to the top of the PSU instead.