Q: I7-7700T or i7-7700?

GreenMan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 21, 2017
Hi All! This is my first post here, super excited to be a part of the community! So, I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of my Sentry case from Dr. Zaber and I'm still working on getting a CPU for the build. I have an H270 board set up and plan to do no overclocking whatsoever (CPU or GPU) and make a gaming computer out of it. I also plan on getting a GTX 1080 with a blower fan or an upcoming Vega card of equal power. So the question is this:
  • Will there be any bottleneck or noticeable performance loss in gaming between the i7-7700 and the i7-7700T with a 1080?
  • If yes, how much will it drop performance and will it matter?
I understand it's a bit of a specific question, but I figured this would be the place to ask it. Thanks in advance!

GreenMan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 21, 2017
What game do you intend to play ? Some are very CPU dependant while others aren't.
It's going to be a wide variety honestly. I play stuff like GTA and Battlegrounds. With something like a GTX 1080, I'm going to be shooting for Ultra at 1080p and probably eventually VR. I understand it's a little overpowered for 1080p, but I'm sort of like that. But, I'd like to have horsepower to be able to play Ultra on all games at 60fps for now and future games. So, I guess the question becomes, can the 7700T handle that?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
The thing is that you most likely will not need Ultra if you are using High and tweak a few settings. Ultra is everything turned to max where you may not even see the difference from High.

GreenMan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 21, 2017
The thing is that you most likely will not need Ultra if you are using High and tweak a few settings. Ultra is everything turned to max where you may not even see the difference from High.
I see your point, but as you can see I am getting a GTX 1080 for 1080p. I'm a bit extra in the sense of gaming quality. I'm the type of guy that will turn on 8X MSAA if the hardware can handle it. So, although there isn't much of a difference, I would just like to know if the i7-7700T could handle that sort of load theoretically.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I think you should be fine with 7700T, there isn't much between them, maybe 10% ?

Plus as you push the graphics settings up then the resulting fps becomes less about the CPU and more about the GPU.

Reactions: Jonny727272

GreenMan

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 21, 2017
I think you should be fine with 7700T, there isn't much between them, maybe 10% ?

Plus as you push the graphics settings up then the resulting fps becomes less about the CPU and more about the GPU.
Awesome thanks! Looks like I'll be going for the 7700T then.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The biggest problem with the 7700T (and any T chip really) is availability and the price gouging that comes with it.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The alternative solution would to buy a K chip and undervolt/under clock it down to T chip levels. The upside would be a likely larger resale market when you're finished with it.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Honestly I'd go with a K-sku and tweak the performance-per-watt like mad. But then not everyone enjoys tweaking things :) I have a T-sku currently that I got with a prebuilt, but I'm still thinking of trading up so I can dial things in more. A little adecdotal I suppose but I hope it helps.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I've been doing a lot of that lately to bring my entire build under a 250w power target.

Not sure about 7700K but with the 6700K I think its very reasonable to expect a minimum drop of -100mv while still maintaining stock clock and boost. This should knock off 10-15 watts from peak load right there.

I currently have it running at -150mv while maintaining stock clocks which has dropped it down to about 70 watts at full load (down from 95w I think), except during AVX instruction sets, like Prime95. AVX is very power hungry and I decided to limit it by setting the max boost power target to not exceed 78 watts, and normal power target of 68 watts. 68 watts happened to be the sweet spot where I could run all cores at 4.2 ghz without throttling, but not AVX instructions like prime 95. If AVX instructions are sent, the processor will throttle the clocks down to compensate for the lack of power available.