Log Orico NVMe eGPU Metal mesh and 3D print

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2022
This is my eGPU project with some mesh screen ($4 for 36" at Home Depot or Lowes, ACE etc: "gutter mesh 6360")

It uses a "Mining x4 NVMe adapter" from Amazon etc. "MZHOU 2 Pack M.2 Key M Transfer PCI-E 1X 4X Card Transfer to M.2 NGFF Adapter Card" number B09C1BK164

Thunderbolt circuit board from an Orico NVMe 40GBps enclosure ($50 is the cheapest I've found it on the Bay, or $70-80 Ali)

RX6400 Low profile SWFT 105

Tinkercad from scratch a little base, Todo: add some supports and screw holes for the circuit board, ventilation holes on edges, make a faceplate.

Size: 175mm x 42mm appx. 24mm height

Power is from a barrel jack I soldered on. I am using an Xbox360 Slim PSU that I converted to a barrel jack. Possible option: 12v USB PD Trigger board.

Last edited:

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2022
The only downside is now I find out my T480 has a x2 Thunderbolt controller 6240 Alpine Ridge.
Still works pretty well. I did one reboot after installing it because enough resources weren't allocated.

I cut the PCIe protector down and covered the extra bit hanging out, also the SATA power on the adapter board.
I ordered this adapter because the picture showed the back was cut out. It was not so I cut it out myself.

Next up, tone down the LEDs, they are absolutely blinding green and blue 6 of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: absolutelyderek

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2022
I might look into some kind of additional cooling. I only have PLA filament and this card likes to stay at 80°, I think by design. The metal ring on the power jack seems to have transferred the heat from the metal shroud on the card and kind of deformed the plastic it was connected to.

Moving the power jack might be enough, still not sure where a good place is, maybe even just out to the edge more and give it a little insulation.

I found a very small fan in my room; maybe 40mm (no idea where it came from), it might be good to cool the whole ThunderBolt board, and getting some airflow on the card isn't a bad idea either.

I am open to flashing a firmware with a more aggressive fan curve, I don't know if BIOS modding is a thing with AMD. And I've been using Pascal chips mostly even with nVidia

forum username

Caliper Novice
Apr 4, 2019
download your current vbios, try a couple different hex editors. gotta be one that will get you access to fan settings at minimum. "polaris bios editor" was a past good one maybe check if the creators have anything new. neat project btw! very interested to see where you go with it.