Pictured: Optimum Tech seeing if bigger is indeed better.

NCASE’s M2 chassis builds on the M1 and M1Evo’s design and construction, bringing more compatibility and configurations than ever before for the product family. But, how does it fare in the eyes of YouTuber Optimum Tech? Check it out in the video:

Continue reading...

Reactions: Phuncz

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
This totally caught me by surprise...because I don't think it was ever announced on SFF.Net It is up for retail purchase on NCase's website, already, even!

I honestly dig the cheesegrater--I only wonder what happened to the power button and I/O with that front panel

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I know I'm the minority with this, but I cannot like cases like that. It's just unnecessarily vented - pretty much open air. There's not a single part which is actually closed, not the bottom, not the top, the sides are complete mesh - how's airflow even exist, where you cannot make channels, since air can come in or escape everywhere?

Also this mesh-craze already went overboard and has to stop. It's a cheap, thin material that cannot be compared to proper, reliable metal. The case is basically near the size of an NR200, the panels are huge - to make all that surface mesh will make it way too fragile. Where do you even touch or grab this if you need to lift it? Especially with all that weight that a full setup will measure (housing the biggest commercial graphics cards in existence), can you even lay it to something without it breaking in? I think mesh is highly inpractical when used in such a large surface, it becomes wobbly, no longer a plate but a sheet. It's like putting something valuable in a "box" that's folded from a 80g office paper.

A case has to have proper structural stability and here, despite having the heaviest components within, the case is basically just a very thin frame that even has HOLES in it EVERYWHERE that are as big as the thickness of the frames themselves (which are in themselves, super thin as well). Lets make one of the biggest case within it's league housing the largest pc components - but use as little material as we possibly can. In both the panels and the frame itself. The bigger you go, the more sturdy and tough the case should be, yet here it's the exact opposite.
And it's 160$? Optimum says it's going to sell like hotcakes, but... if you're into these large mesh cases, the Dan A3 costs a THIRD of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I know I'm the minority with this, but I cannot like cases like that. It's just unnecessarily vented - pretty much open air. There's not a single part which is actually closed, not the bottom, not the top, the sides are complete mesh - how's airflow even exist, where you cannot make channels, since air can come in or escape everywhere?

Also this mesh-craze already went overboard and has to stop. It's a cheap, thin material that cannot be compared to proper, reliable metal. The case is basically near the size of an NR200, the panels are huge - to make all that surface mesh will make it way too fragile. Where do you even touch or grab this if you need to lift it? Especially with all that weight that a full setup will measure (housing the biggest commercial graphics cards in existence), can you even lay it to something without it breaking in? I think mesh is highly inpractical when used in such a large surface, it becomes wobbly, no longer a plate but a sheet. It's like putting something valuable in a "box" that's folded from a 80g office paper.

A case has to have proper structural stability and here, despite having the heaviest components within, the case is basically just a very thin frame that even has HOLES in it EVERYWHERE that are as big as the thickness of the frames themselves (which are in themselves, super thin as well). Lets make one of the biggest case within it's league housing the largest pc components - but use as little material as we possibly can. In both the panels and the frame itself. The bigger you go, the more sturdy and tough the case should be, yet here it's the exact opposite.
And it's 160$? Optimum says it's going to sell like hotcakes, but... if you're into these large mesh cases, the Dan A3 costs a THIRD of that.
RE: The size/volume.

The PC hobby/gaming space has an ever worsening x86 power/efficiency problem. It is a problem for SFF because PC parts are only getting more massive and more power hungry and not less. Since Ampere debuted, most SFF cases went from being very-compatible with the 95% of GPUs (that were 2-slot and maybe 300mm)....to suddenly having no compatibility, at all, with the top-end hardware. Heck, my 3070Ti barely fits in my M1. And people building SFF, are probably more likely to be buying that high-end kit than a 4050.

So yup...M2 is bigger than M1, and a step smaller than NR200. It is a necessary compromise in order to have hardware compatibility. I'd love to use my FormD T1 again, but until PC hardware gets more power efficient--or x86 is abandoned in favor of ARM--I probably won't, because of heat sinks and part size.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
RE: The size/volume.

The PC hobby/gaming space has an ever worsening x86 power/efficiency problem. It is a problem for SFF because PC parts are only getting more massive and more power hungry and not less. Since Ampere debuted, most SFF cases went from being very-compatible with the 95% of GPUs (that were 2-slot and maybe 300mm)....to suddenly having no compatibility, at all, with the top-end hardware. Heck, my 3070Ti barely fits in my M1. And people building SFF, are probably more likely to be buying that high-end kit than a 4050.

So yup...M2 is bigger than M1, and a step smaller than NR200. It is a necessary compromise in order to have hardware compatibility. I'd love to use my FormD T1 again, but until PC hardware gets more power efficient--or x86 is abandoned in favor of ARM--I probably won't, because of heat sinks and part size.
I don't have anything against the size. 10+L cases are not my thing, but that's just personal preference. My opinion focused on how puny they made this case on all fronts despite claiming to house the heaviest and most expensive parts. Mesh gets gradually worse as the surface gets larger and with this size, the vented metal panels of a 50$ NR200 is far superior.
And those hole adjustments making the already narrow and thin frame even more fragile. I mean look at how much thickness is left between the hole diameter and the edge of the frame. THAT's what carries the total weight of your build. I'm pretty sure they tested these right? They had to, but it's very suspicious to me. Also, top mounted gpu layouts are definitely not advised if it will only hang on the pcie slot alone.

Imagine buying the assembled case version.
No wonder you have to assemble it yourself. Even while empty with the weight of a feather (based on the amount of materials used) a case of this that's already put together would never survive delivery due to how fragile it is. This is the only chance to safely ship these.